Magazines -- New Era

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Magazines -- New Era

Post by lajackson »

I queried support when I noticed that the New Era magazine is only available from 1990 and older. I wondered what happened to the more current issues. I thought it might be a bug in the database.

The answer was to be patient, that the magazines were being added as quickly as they were available.

I did not bother to write back, but I was sorely tempted to ask why it was that 20 year old magazines were available for Gospel Library, but that magazines published in the more recent 20 years were not.

Are others seeing this? Are the more recent New Eras really not available, or is this truly a bug in the database that should be fixed?

I suppose they could be working from oldest to newest in preparing New Era magazines for Gospel Library. Then again, I would wonder about that decision.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I queried support when I noticed that the New Era magazine is only available from 1990 and older. I wondered what happened to the more current issues.

It might be related to the approach to the process. For older magazines, they might be scanning them - labor intensive, but simple to do. For newer ones, they might be trying to do some kind of file conversion process that's still being developed.

It's just speculation, but given the way technology changes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that they are stored differently depending on which technology era they were created (and archived) in.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:It might be related to the approach to the process. For older magazines, they might be scanning them - labor intensive, but simple to do. For newer ones, they might be trying to do some kind of file conversion process that's still being developed.

Possibly. But I would think that the Ensign, Friend and Liahona would have been handled in the same way. The New Era stands out as the only one of the batch for which there are no issues available within the most recent 20 years.

Hence, my wondering if there is a glitch.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”