2 of 3 Tithing Settlement forms missing donation information from certain individuals

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
familygenealogy

2 of 3 Tithing Settlement forms missing donation information from certain individuals

Post by familygenealogy »

I am the Branch Clerk for the Northridge YSA Branch, and in doing tithing settlement, I noticed that one individual had missing donations that didn't show up in the tithing-to-date form that was sent out early, but their donation did show up on the tithing settlement documentation. Then when my Branch President and I were doing the final Tithing Declaration Report, I noticed that the donations were blank in the area (and we know that donations were made and do show up else where in MLS). We checked some other names, we found another individual where we know tithing was paid, but yet the individual's line was blank (the same as non-tithe payers).
There appears to be an error in MLS, or maybe in how MLS recognizes a donating member.
One of the individuals has been a year-long donator, and the other arrived in the Branch six months ago. Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the Branch and Ward Clerks. I have not yet done year-end statements, but I believe this is vital (legally) for the church. If anyone has ideas on what I can do on my end, just let me know. Thanks!!
... Gerry
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I know there are a number of instances of problems with the US/Canada guys on CUBS - but to add a voice from the UK, I'm also seeing missing info. I have a query pending with the 'people that should know' - but am still awaiting an answer (2 weeks+ now). I have people on my summary report that show as having paid no tithing. There are no donations listing on the individuals annual statement either - but I can physically interrogate a particular donation batch where there is a valiad donation from the same person.

I know there will be more instances as I get through my interviews - it's going to be a total nightmare!! Is this linked to the same CUBS problem?!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dannykos wrote:There are no donations listing on the individuals annual statement either - but I can physically interrogate a particular donation batch where there is a valiad donation from the same person.

Is there any possibility that there are two "entries" with the same name? The one with donations might be classified as a out-of-unit member so it's hidden from view. The other one has no donations.

If that's the case, then you need to combine them and make sure the result is tied to the member that's in your ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

familygenealogy wrote:I noticed that one individual had missing donations that didn't show up in the tithing-to-date form that was sent out early, but their donation did show up on the tithing settlement documentation. Then when my Branch President and I were doing the final Tithing Declaration Report, I noticed that the donations were blank in the area (and we know that donations were made and do show up else where in MLS).

When I see problems like this, I check the following:
  1. Go to a donation batch that you know had donations for the individual, and make note of the precise name of the donor.
  2. Go to Add/Update donors and find that donor.
  3. Check to see if that donor is linked to a membership record, and if the linked member is the correct one
  4. See if there are other donor records with the same or very similar names
  5. Verify that one of the donor records is indeed linked to the correct membership record.
  6. If there are other similar donor records, merge them into the donor record that you verified has the correct membership record linkage.
Doing the above checks will make sure that there is only one donor record for the individual, and that it is properly linked to the membership record. The Tithing Settlement Declarations screen and associated reports only include donor records that are linked to membership records.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sportstats

Post by sportstats »

Thanks for the pointers, I have seen missing Missionary payments in much the same way. The donor report only shows donations from around the time of cubs until present, but we know there were other donations before that time.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”