Year end cut off date

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

Year end cut off date

Post by mlh78 »

Does anyone know the cut off date for checks to hit the 2010 budget? I apologize if this information was sent through MLS - I have been away from the church computer.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:Does anyone know the cut off date for checks to hit the 2010 budget? I apologize if this information was sent through MLS - I have been away from the church computer.
I haven't heard anything about this. To my thinking, it is conceivable that under CUBS there is no special cutoff date; since the MLS and CUBS systems are now more directly connected, the manual processing CHQ had to do under CFAR might no longer be necessary. But that's only speculation on my part.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

Since funds are now carried over from one quarter to the next, is a cut-off date relevant anymore?
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

It might be if you have subcategories you want zeroed out so that they can be deleted in three years. But to know the answer to that, we'd have to know if Alan's speculation is correct.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

bdayley wrote:Since funds are now carried over from one quarter to the next, is a cut-off date relevant anymore?
It is if the stake recapture unused budget funds at year end.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mlh78 wrote:It is if the stake recapture unused budget funds at year end.

Under the new system, if the stake does that, they'll have to ask the ward to cut a check. That gives the ward room to ask for adjusting the balance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

RussellHltn wrote:Under the new system, if the stake does that, they'll have to ask the ward to cut a check. That gives the ward room to ask for adjusting the balance.
For the time being, in MLS we have allocated 0% to each unit. I will cut each of them a check in January for 1/4 of the annual amount the Stake President has allocated to them. I will use the December consolidated CUFS to determine the amount that carried over from 2010 and will reduce the 1Q 2011 check by that amount.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:For the time being, in MLS we have allocated 0% to each unit. I will cut each of them a check in January for 1/4 of the annual amount the Stake President has allocated to them. I will use the December consolidated CUFS to determine the amount that carried over from 2010 and will reduce the 1Q 2011 check by that amount.
That technique is certainly within the stake president's discretion. But I would note that the original message about CUBS contained this Budget FAQ that recommended otherwise:
Our stake distributes budget as a fixed dollar amount rather than a percentage. Will we be able to do this through MLS?

The only way to handle it as a fixed amount would be to allocate the wards nothing, and then write them a check for the desired amount, which they would deposit. We encourage the stake and the wards to learn the new method.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
pzells

If I put an Online store order 30 Dec 2010, will it deducted from 2010 budget?

Post by pzells »

If I put an Online store order 30 Dec 2010, will it deducted from 2010 budget? It takes a few weeks from the order to clear in MLS (based on the last orders I made), but I do not know if that means that the order will be deducted from the ward account in a few weeks or that it will be taken out of the account immediately.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pzells wrote:If I put an Online store order 30 Dec 2010, will it deducted from 2010 budget? It takes a few weeks from the order to clear in MLS (based on the last orders I made), but I do not know if that means that the order will be deducted from the ward account in a few weeks or that it will be taken out of the account immediately.
I don't see why this order would be any different. In my experience, orders take at least a couple of days to post, and sometimes a week or more. So it's very likely that this order will hit your 2011 budget. But for most wards, this doesn't matter, since budget balances carry forward over the year-end now that we are on the CUBS system.

In any case, you'll know soon enough -- if you do a send/receive on or after 1 January 2011, either the transaction will come down dated 2010 or it won't, and then you'll know.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”