More persistent login for lds.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
scromar

More persistent login for lds.org

Post by scromar »

I have not been able to determine what the current policy is, but it seems like every time I sit down in front of my computer to use lds.org (oftentimes multiple times in a single day), I have to login again. With all of the useful services available on the website now, I find myself using it more and more, and I don't like having to re-login constantly. I think that login should persist much longer than it currently does.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

scromar wrote:I have not been able to determine what the current policy is, but it seems like every time I sit down in front of my computer to use lds.org (oftentimes multiple times in a single day), I have to login again. With all of the useful services available on the website now, I find myself using it more and more, and I don't like having to re-login constantly. I think that login should persist much longer than it currently does.
I agree completely. A "remember me" feature would be quite welcome.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I think the session expires after a while (15 minutes?) to prevent resource overload on the servers. It's a technical limitation, in other words.
scromar

Post by scromar »

If it really is a technical limitation: As the Church is developing all of these new and useful apps, it needs to ensure that there are adequate resources to serve them up. They become much less useful when I frequently go to use them on Sundays, and they simply don't work because the servers are overloaded. This type of thing often happens during General Conference too. Why doesn't the Church host these things on a scalable infrastructure, like Amazon EC2, so that the power could be scaled up on Sundays, and down during the week? It always annoys me that lds.org is generally a slow site, and it gets especially slow when there is more demand.
DevinRB

Re: More persistent login for lds.org

Post by DevinRB »

Two years after these posts, there still isn't a persistent login. Is this a possibility now? Thanks!
mevans

Post by mevans »

You could get around this by using a password manager, such as LastPass (there are others). You could configure the password manager to not require a password to automatically log you in. It's not quite the same thing, but it might get you around the nuisance of logging in.

Bear in mind that if you do this, your LDS account is only as secure as your computer(s). Some callings give you access to sensitive information.
jared.capson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jared.capson »

Your signin cookie expires after 1 hour of inactivity.

Return to “Main Church Website”