MLS 2.6 and autodetect of connection type

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
danpass

MLS 2.6 and autodetect of connection type

Post by danpass »

One of the changes listed in the release notes for MLS 2.6 is that it will automatically use a network connection if present.

We recently received permission to connect unit computers to the FHC LAN in one of our meetinghouses. After doing this yesterday, my first attempt to send/receive in MLS used the dial-up connection. I went into the MLS system options and saw that there were options for modem, network and automatic. Automatic was selected so I changed it to network and tried send/receive again. This time it did use the network connection.

I found later that the computer's internet options for communication under IE were set to use the dial-up connection. I changed the setting to never dial, so that the IE would use the network connection.

This IE setting may explain why MLS used dial-up instead of network when it was set to automatic. I did not go back and try setting it to automatic again. So there may or may not be a bug here.

If this is functioning as designed, then this posting at least provides some useful information that probably should have been included in the release notes.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”