Donated Vehicle

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ericlaw5

Donated Vehicle

Post by ericlaw5 »

A member would like to donate a used vehicle for the church to give to a member in need, but they would like a charitable donation receipt for tax purposes.

I'm a bit hesitant to get us into the murky area of receiving and distributing donated items and wouldn't know where to start if we did. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your input.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ericlaw5 wrote:A member would like to donate a used vehicle for the church to give to a member in need, but they would like a charitable donation receipt for tax purposes.

I'm a bit hesitant to get us into the murky area of receiving and distributing donated items and wouldn't know where to start if we did. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your input.

Our stake just had a similar issue. Local units cannot give receipts for donated items. The bishop seeks approval from the stake president, who has to get specific approval from CHQ before any donated items can be accepted. Someone with access to Handbook 1 should look at section 14.4.8.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Welcome to the forum! I don't believe the church is set up to receive or handle donated vehicles, but I'm certainly no authority on this. The people to contact would be...

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Tax Administration
50 East North Temple Street, Room 2223
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3620
Telephone: 1-800-453-3860, extension 2-3003

I'm sure they could answer your question.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

It sounds to me like the member is wanting to make an "In-Kind" donation. My experience is that the Church is reluctant to accept in-kind donations and if they do, will only accept a very limited type of donation, i.e. stocks, bonds and securities. The bishop should check with the stake president who can check with the admin office if he wants to take it further.
ericlaw5

Post by ericlaw5 »

Thanks a bunch for the prompt replies. I will pass this information to our Bishop.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”