Update records for member not in my Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
raklet

Update records for member not in my Ward

Post by raklet »

While reviewing her IOS, a member in my Ward noticed that the confirmation date for her oldest son was blank. She wrote the confirmation date in the blank and asked that I update the information. However, her son does not live in our Ward. I know that I cannot update that information from my MLS, but who can I contact in order to have the information updated?

I asked the member what Ward her son lives in so I could contact that Ward clerk, but she said that her son has been inactive for many years and she has no idea.

Thanks,

Tyler Hepworth
Ward Clerk
Oakley 3rd Ward
Oakley, Idaho
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The bishop could call into LUS to find what ward, if any, the records are in. With that info, you could look up the contact info in CDOL, call the ward clerk, and pass on the info. Another option is to request the records back into your ward, update the info, and then send the records back to the ward they came from.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

crislapi wrote:Another option is to request the records back into your ward, update the info, and then send the records back to the ward they came from.
I'd be hesitant to do this as this could create other problems. Since the member is inactive, the ward in which he resides may not have contact with him. Pulling the record could cause the address they have to disappear. Then chances of establishing contact could be lost or significantly hampered. That may not be an issue if his mother knows his mailing address. If she doesn't know it then...
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

You really want to handle this carefully. There is te real possibility that her son has been excommunicated or has requested his name be removed from the Church records. In either of these cases, his confirmaiton date would be removed from her record. If she knows his current address, you can look up his ward and bishop information in maps.lds.org
raklet

Post by raklet »

crislapi wrote:The bishop could call into LUS to find what ward, if any, the records are in. With that info, you could look up the contact info in CDOL, call the ward clerk, and pass on the info. Another option is to request the records back into your ward, update the info, and then send the records back to the ward they came from.

This sounds like the most logical thing. Thank you. Sorry to sound ignorant, but can you tell me what LUS is and how to reach them? I haven't heard of it, and my Bishop
doesn't know either.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

To determine the ward, all you need is an address. You might try talking to the mom to see if she has a current address for her son. If she does, use maps.lds.org to identify the ward her son would belong to. Click on the ward and a pop-up will display on the map that gives you the bishop's name and contact info.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

raklet wrote:This sounds like the most logical thing. Thank you. Sorry to sound ignorant, but can you tell me what LUS is and how to reach them? I haven't heard of it, and my Bishop
doesn't know either.

Local Unit Support - 1-800-453-3860 ext 23500
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

raklet wrote:Sorry to sound ignorant, but can you tell me what LUS is and how to reach them? I haven't heard of it, and my Bishop
doesn't know either.
LUS is Local Unit Support. The wiki is always a good place to start to find information. The wiki article Administration office has a section for Local Unit Supportcontact information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rpyne wrote:You really want to handle this carefully. There is the real possibility that her son has been excommunicated or has requested his name be removed from the Church records. In either of these cases, his confirmation date would be removed from her record.

You should also review section 16.1.10 of Handbook 1 about the requirements for correcting ordinance information. Generally more verification is required than just the word of one person.

Return to “Membership Help”