Mormon Messages DVDs

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
mikengray-p40

Mormon Messages DVDs

Post by mikengray-p40 »

Hi all,
I know the idea of Mormon Messages is to send quick links to friends so they can view them over the internet, but I want to know if there are any plans in the works to compile them into a DVD. I have resorted to creating my own DVD's via iDVD (I'd be glad to upload the ISO files) so people can use them in their homes, church classes, baptisms, etc. to invite the Spirit, but it might be nice to see an "official" DVD of this type. Any plans in the works?
-Mike Gray
Maricopa, AZ
hymnno54-p40

Post by hymnno54-p40 »

mikengray wrote:Hi all,
I know the idea of Mormon Messages is to send quick links to friends so they can view them over the internet, but I want to know if there are any plans in the works to compile them into a DVD. I have resorted to creating my own DVD's via iDVD (I'd be glad to upload the ISO files) so people can use them in their homes, church classes, baptisms, etc. to invite the Spirit, but it might be nice to see an "official" DVD of this type. Any plans in the works?
-Mike Gray
Maricopa, AZ
Hi there,
I agree and would be very interested in have access to the Mormon Messages you have so I could create my own DVD's for F.H.E. H.T.ing,lessons ect.
Thanks,
Ray G
Ireland
ryanpitt

DVD Published by Excel Entertainment

Post by ryanpitt »

In an interesting turn of events, Excel Entertainment, owned by DeseretBook I believe, just released a compilation of Mormon Messages on DVD. They are selling it for $10 and it contains 20 of the "most popular" segments. While I am glad these inspirational video clips are getting their day on DVD, why in the world is not the Church itself making them available via their distribution centers (and likely for only $4.95 like the other DVDs they sell)? I'm at a loss.

I could easily make my own compilation DVD if I wanted--that's not the point. The point is that having these on the DVD format and available through the Church itself would allow these messages to be seen by more people, to be available in more homes, and used in Sunday lessons at church.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Haven't seen this item surface on the shelves there yet, but there's another issue that may pop up as a result of these being made available in a commercial product. Checked 21.1.12 of Handbook 2 and it basically says that we should avoid using commercial materials in Church functions. If the 'Mormon Messages' DVD mentioned has a common commercial copyright notice that we see on a lot of commercial materials, it would be ironic.

The big problem I see happening is that many people who could use them from Youtube will feel they cannot use them due to that commercial-style copyright notice. And not a lot of people know how to pull them from Youtube either, although someone in the local mission office here pulled three so missionaries could use them at things like convert baptisms, the matter I saw that at they could not show the one they wanted to due to an error in authoring the DVD, so the missionaries could not show the Mormon Messages clip at the baptism i was at.

As to Excel here's a quick history, it started in 1974 as Embryo Records, it was the label that stared out by releasing the 'Saturday's Warrior' soundtrack. It was very big under Lex de Azevedo, he sold it in 1993 to Jeff Simpson who continued it until 2003, then he sold it to Deseret Book then, who made the name an imprint for commercial movies, such as the 'Work and the Glory' movies, etc.

As to the releasing of DVDs by the Church, that is far more desirable, and this could be an annual matter, although the 2008 and 2009 videos would, due to Mormon Messages only starting in 2008, be combined with the 2009 videos. 2010 would be one DVD, and 2011 should be one DVD. If desired the Church could put the language versions in as alternate soundtracks as well.
ryanpitt

Post by ryanpitt »

Thanks James. You brought up some good points. Since my last post, I contacted a friend I know who works at Deseret Book and he said:
I would think we could actually get greater reach for them with our [Deseret Book] relationships with B&N, Amazon, Walmart, Costco, Apple, etc. Especially since they are trying to get this material into the hands of people who will never shop at a distribution center.
He has a good point I suppose. But in my mind there are two mission here with Mormon Messages: first, they are for non-members who could be touched by these inspirational clips and want to find out more about the Church; second, they are for strengthening members.

Ideally the Church would include a Mormon Messages DVD with your Ensign subscription each year (much like they did with Finding Faith in Christ, The Restoration, etc) for the benefit of the members. Deseret Book could go ahead and publish their version which would benefit non-members through their marketing/distribution channels.

FYI: Here's a link to the DVD:
http://deseretbook.com/Mormon-Messages- ... /i/5056500
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That's great news that the Church relationship with Deseret Book will help propel these into other locations and places than thorugh store.lds.org, etc., but will there be some official way of letting the members use them in Church meetings, etc. given the copyrigh verbage that will be on the back of the Deseret Book product?
ryanpitt

Post by ryanpitt »

I guess that's the question that remains unanswered. I would wager to say that the majority will simply use them regardless. They will think "these are produced by the Church so it must be OK." The tech-savvy folks will just use their own--either by burning them to DVD or hooking their laptop up to the TV or whatever.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

My biggest problem with these DVDs is the gross over pricing. DVDs cost only pennies to produce and since the original material is produced by the Church, there should be no royalties to be paid, so there is no excuse for it having a $10 price tag.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rpyne wrote:My biggest problem with these DVDs is the gross over pricing. DVDs cost only pennies to produce and since the original material is produced by the Church, there should be no royalties to be paid, so there is no excuse for it having a $10 price tag.

While I agree with the sentiment, the price does including labor, order processing, shipping, handling, and all that other stuff you have to have a coupon for to get for free. [grin]
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I believe that's a lost to me, because no Bonneville products are sold by the Church or any other company in Brazil. If the Church releases the product, we certainly can order it in Distribution Services stores or import from the Salt Lake Distribution Services by order in Store.LDS.org, but with that, it's so hard to obtain a copy for my collection, I believe.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”