New FamilySearch

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
RonaldF-p40

New FamilySearch

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

After reviewing the User’s Guide for the new FamilySearch, I see some wonderful benefits of the system besides the obvious one of having all the information in one common place that is accessible to everyone.

In the past, individuals needing help in getting ordinances completed had to coordinate efforts and get the Family Name Cards to those willing to help. Now family members ward members and friends can select a name from FamilySearch, process an ordinance request, take it to the temple, have the card printed, and then do the ordinance.

One troubling issue still exists. If a person “reserves” an ordinance(s) and fails to complete that ordinance due to death, loss of interest, or some other reason, no other relative can complete the ordinance(s). The User’s Guide suggests:

“Reserve ordinances only if you feel reasonably sure that you can get them done.
It is recommended that you reserve only enough ordinances for a few trips to the
temple.” , A User’s Guide to the New FamilySearch

The User’s Guide also states:

“There is no limit on the amount of time that ordinances can be on your reserved
list, but try to get them done in a timely manner.”, A User’s Guide to the New FamilySearch

With that suggestion it would have been nice to have ordinance “reservations” expire after one year. This would free the ordinance for others to do. If the person still wants to reserve the ordinance(s), then the person would have the option to “renew” the ordinance(s) reservation. It would ensure that the ordinance(s) could be completed by relatives in a timely manner in the event that the original “reserver” was unable to complete the ordinance(s).

At our local temple, submissions are checked for possible duplications (we are not on the new FamilySearch). Often we have patrons wanting to do ordinances for their relatives only to find that the ordinance(s) have been “cleared” by another person. I have seen many cases where it has been several years since the submission date or since partial work has been done.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Currently nFS is only open to members. The member's login it tied to their membership record. In theory, the member's unit would notify the church when that member dies.

Personally, I'd think about making things expire if the user hasn't logged in for a long time. As long as their account is in use, I have no problems with reserving it forever.

Just another thought.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Currently nFS is only open to members. The member's login it tied to their membership record. In theory, the member's unit would notify the church when that member dies.

Personally, I'd think about making things expire if the user hasn't logged in for a long time. As long as their account is in use, I have no problems with reserving it forever.

Just another thought.

Yes, that would work also. A related problem is once a person has the cards printed, it locks up the name.(New or old system). The name can not be resubmitted as long as a printed card exists or duplication can occur.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

As the current "designated researcher" of my family, I would like the option to manage my submission... for example retract reserved names that have not been printed and "reassign" them to another family member that has availability and desire to do more names.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Yes that should be in there, especially would be useful in not only the situations you describe, but say for example the family member gets so seriously ill that they can't do the work? Or has to move due to work and that location leaves them nowhere near any temple?

I also thought of something else, is this in there already:

A table showing the submission's contents, showing names, and columns for baptisms, endowments, etc., that would fill in with each ordinance?

Here's a hypothetical, slashes represent divisions between cells in the table and due to what I had to do to create this idea, the temple names were omitted, but assume they follow the dates in each cell. Also, there could be linkage to the name in the pedigree and the FGS page for that person. Having worked with setting up tables and field names, this one is doable, I'm not sure whether one would want to use SQL or use some other data management programming software, but it can be done in most of those.

Name/Baptism/Endowment/Sealing to Parents/Sealed to Spouse

John DOE/ Child/ /3 June 2007/3 June 2007
Robert DOE/29 May 2007/2 June 2007/21 June 2007/21 June 2007
Julie DOE/ / / / (no work done yet)
Ann DOE/29 May 2007/ / / (baptism only completed

That should give you an idea of what could be done, one would not have to open the pedigree, use the barcode number on the printed slip you took to the temple as the tracking number of the submission.

What are your thoughts?
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

Not having worked with the new FamilySearch, and only going by what is stated in the user's guide, it appears that the secret is not to reserve ordinances except for those that you want to do personally. Friends, family, and ward members can access the "non-reserved" names and do them themselves. I believe you can change the reserve status from "ME" to "TEMPLE" to allow others to do the ordinances. You actually will have a lot of control over the ordinance work. We will need to change how we view the entire process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RonaldF wrote:A related problem is once a person has the cards printed, it locks up the name.(New or old system). The name can not be resubmitted as long as a printed card exists or duplication can occur.
Under the old system, wasn't there ways to go ahead and process it if the member hadn't done anything for over a year?
rzamor1

Post by rzamor1 »

I am curious on how you were able to view the new User's Guide for new Family Search? Is it out there any where we can see it?
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Under the old system, wasn't there ways to go ahead and process it if the member hadn't done anything for over a year?
The current (old) system is easy. TempleReady was last updated in 2000. Anything submitted in the last seven years isn’t checked by TempleReady. If the name did show up in TempleReady, all you would have to do is check “NO” when TempleReady asked if it was the same person being submitted. TempleReady would allow the submission. This would also create the possibility of duplication of ordinances. I’m sure the new system will have similar opportunities for “work arounds”. Good intended patrons will probably use them to complete the work for their relatives. That is why a one year limitation on the “reservation” should be added to the new system. Patrons would know that if someone “reserved” a name, the work would be done in a year or be made available to others to do. Once the cards are printed then the name is “locked” in. Work arounds would have to be used, and duplication would be very likely. I’m not sure what kind of communication capabilities are built in to the new system so others can communicate with the person “reserving” the name. Communication between patrons would help solve many of these problems.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

St Louis Temple district is on the new system. It was made available to them. It was also made available to beta testers. I'm not sure when it will be released generally. I saw a copy on the first beta web site.

Return to “Family History”