Issue with incorrect System time and logging in.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
eastons

Issue with incorrect System time and logging in.

Post by eastons »

Yesterday the High Priest group were entering in the HT stats and in the process changed the OS system time. I go to log in and see as I was entering expenses that the date was wrong. I log out and change it to the 19th, log back in and I get "Last log in was 26 DEC 2010 please change system clock to continue" type of message.
I change it to the 26th. I cannot do expenses but donations are ok since you can set the date of donation.
I assume next Sunday all will be well as long as no one EVER touches the time, I cower to think of what would happen if someone sets it to 3011.

If this happens again how can this be fixed? Also can I run MLS from a non-admin account(winxp) for my less then technical brethren?

Thanks Much!
Spence
Ward Clerk for 3 months now.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

seaston wrote:If this happens again how can this be fixed? Also can I run MLS from a non-admin account(winxp) for my less then technical brethren?
Instructions for fixing (and preventing!) the problem are on the wiki at Changing the system date.

You can't run MLS from a non-admin account right now, but it appears that this is changing for MLS 3.3; see MLS no longer requires it to be installed on Administrator profile.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

seaston wrote:Yesterday the High Priest group were entering in the HT stats and in the process changed the OS system time. I go to log in and see as I was entering expenses that the date was wrong. I log out and change it to the 19th, log back in and I get "Last log in was 26 DEC 2010 please change system clock to continue" type of message.
I change it to the 26th. I cannot do expenses but donations are ok since you can set the date of donation.
I assume next Sunday all will be well as long as no one EVER touches the time, I cower to think of what would happen if someone sets it to 3011.

If this happens again how can this be fixed? Also can I run MLS from a non-admin account(winxp) for my less then technical brethren?

Thanks Much!
Spence
Ward Clerk for 3 months now.
With the release of MLS 3.3 this issue will be a lot easier to prevent. MLS 3.3 can be run from a Windows non-administrator account. This means that the Windows administrator account can be used as intended, by the system administrator, and everyone else can be using an account with some less privileges such as User or Power User. Then the Group Policy can be set to prevent the system clock from being changed except by an administrator.

Note: Do not install MLS 3.3 without getting permission from the stake president. He may want to delay deploying it until some time in January. The stake president may have delegated this decision responsibility to the STS. Check with the STS before contacting your stake president.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

seaston wrote:If this happens again how can this be fixed? Also can I run MLS from a non-admin account(winxp) for my less then technical brethren?
I put a post-it note on the lower right corner of my ward's monitor (just under the clock). Haven't had a problem in the 4 years it has been there.
jdlessley wrote:Note: Do not install MLS 3.3 without getting permission from the stake president. He may want to delay deploying it until some time in January. The stake president may have delegated this decision responsibility to the STS. Check with the STS before contacting your stake president.
This is no longer a requirement as MLS 3.3.0 is no longer a beta.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Note: Do not install MLS 3.3 without getting permission from the stake president. He may want to delay deploying it until some time in January. The stake president may have delegated this decision responsibility to the STS. Check with the STS before contacting your stake president.
This is no longer a requirement as MLS 3.3.0 is no longer a beta.
It's still prudent, since MLS 3.3 is an optional install, and wards should never be doing optional upgrades to MLS software without the stake coordinating the upgrades.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
donaldmkitchen

Post by donaldmkitchen »

Alan_Brown wrote:Instructions for fixing (and preventing!) the problem are on the wiki at Changing the system date.

You can't run MLS from a non-admin account right now, but it appears that this is changing for MLS 3.3; see MLS no longer requires it to be installed on Administrator profile.
Although most people talk about this issue WRT preventing people from
changing the time, there's still an entry on the suggestions wiki about
MLS detecting a jump of more than two weeks (and the user, alerted, would
abort)

I think AFTER the referenced post happened, MLS now does detect if it's
more than two weeks since last login, and asks for confirmation of all the
Sundays without financial batches. Does anyone know would a system date
a year in the future ask for 52 date confirmations or give a different
warning? It seems like that wiki request has been completed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dkitchen wrote:I think AFTER the referenced post happened, MLS now does detect if it's more than two weeks since last login, and asks for confirmation of all the Sundays without financial batches. Does anyone know would a system date a year in the future ask for 52 date confirmations or give a different warning?
Yes, it should.

MLS has always asked this. And at that point it is too late, you have already started MLS on the future date and cannot go back without the pain and anguish associated with recovering from an advanced date.

I still support a date check at program start that would allow an abort without registering that MLS was started in the future.

Or running the new MLS 3.3 and restricting Users from changing the date.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

donaldmkitchen wrote:I think ... MLS now does detect if it's
more than two weeks since last login, and asks for confirmation of all the
Sundays without financial batches. Does anyone know would a system date
a year in the future ask for 52 date confirmations or give a different
warning? It seems like that wiki request has been completed.
This is not a system clock check. It is a financial check, and it's been there for years. This only wants the user to confirm that there really have been no donations. As mentioned, you've already logged in at a future date and will be locked up once the date is corrected.

Yes, if you set the date a year in the future you will have to give 52 confirmations of no donations for every week you've skipped.

In short, the wiki request is still not a feature of MLS. You can still log into MLS w/o a prompt that it's been weeks since a previous log in.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”