Killer app - Spinoff from the Hymns on Android

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
idjeeper2

Killer app - Spinoff from the Hymns on Android

Post by idjeeper2 »

Since this isn't Android specific, I put it in the general area.

I am a musical illiterate. In my teens, I learned the bass part for "The Spirit of God". From there I have self-taught many other hymns that have relatively simple bass parts that I can hear when the organist plays. I'm not good, but I don't hear dogs howling and cats screeching when I sing and the people around me are very kind. Recently I learned the bass part for "Still, Still, Still" and thoroughly enjoyed singing it with the branch choir at our stake Christmas concert. The advantage with a small choir is that I felt comfortable asking the pianist to play just the bass notes so I could hear how they should sound. My home ward choir is just too big to ask for that kind of individual instruction.

My idea for an app - Take the Hymn Book and put all the words and music as a visual. Then provide the option of sound files for the individual parts and combined. Instant family home evening music plus people like me can learn to sing in the privacy of our own car or home.

I have no idea if this is possible or how much memory would be involved. Maybe a start would be the selected hymns from the military scripture set. I know there are much smarter people than me who hang out here and might want to run with this. Or not.:)
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

I like your idea. You can do what you want on the regular LDS web site.

That said, I have sung in choirs of all kinds and sizes, and I will tell you straight up, never feel hesitant to ask to have your part played separate so you can hear it. I would be willing to bet that there is at least one other person that wants it played separate as well. Any choir director worth their salt will appreciate your dedication to getting your part right.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

rpyne wrote:I like your idea. You can do what you want on the regular LDS web site.

That said, I have sung in choirs of all kinds and sizes, and I will tell you straight up, never feel hesitant to ask to have your part played separate so you can hear it. I would be willing to bet that there is at least one other person that wants it played separate as well. Any choir director worth their salt will appreciate your dedication to getting your part right.
I had no idea that the music player was on the web site. That is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome !! Another example where the church is way ahead of many of us.

With the choir, I know the director would - I'm just not as comfortable in a group of 75 versus a group of 15. Perception is everything. At the concert I looked at our ward choir - huge turnout, primary kids, instruments - they really pulled out all the stops. It sounded great but I sat there thinking that it didn't look fun.

I expect that if I got involved I'd probably get in to it and to be fair, two things made the branch choir extra special that night - it was our director's first experience with something like that and we wanted to make it a good one for her, and it was the last official function for the branch. Bittersweet but a memory I will treasure forever.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

idjeeper wrote:two things made the branch choir extra special that night - it was our director's first experience with something like that and we wanted to make it a good one for her, and it was the last official function for the branch. Bittersweet but a memory I will treasure forever.
Ah, sending it off on a high note.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

There is currently a project underway to upgrade the existing music play on lds.org, but the forum for it hasn't shown any activity for a while.

Apparently the current church music player uses tech from Legato Media and is Flash-based. My hope is that the Flash tools could be upgraded for non-Flash devices. Being able to use the interactive music player from lds.org on an iPad or iPhone would be great for personal music practice.

(It looks like I need to figure out how to start making the web apps I want to see.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

idjeeper wrote:I had no idea that the music player was on the web site. That is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome !! Another example where the church is way ahead of many of us.
As with so many other wonderful things that would help us both as general members and with our callings, it is so difficult to get the word out. [grin]

Return to “Gospel Library”