Custom Reports cannot access 2011 dates

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
tmellor

Custom Reports cannot access 2011 dates

Post by tmellor »

I have a custom birthday report, so that I can print address labels, but the report won't allow me to show birthdays in 2011. Can we get this updated?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

A birthday is based on a day and a month only and does not include the year. To create a list of all birthdays for 2011 the criteria would include the attribute Birthday, the compare operation "is or is after", and the value "01 Jan". Note there is no year.

The problem occurs when you think you must include the year when using the calendar icon for entering the day and month. The calendar icon is a tool to enter the day and month using the mouse rather than typing the day and month in the appropriate data boxes. The problem with the calendar icon is that it includes the year in selecting the day and month. Just ignor the year. You can use any year since only the day and month are used from the mouse selection of date to fill the data boxes, day and month.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tmellor wrote:I have a custom birthday report, so that I can print address labels, but the report won't allow me to show birthdays in 2011. Can we get this updated?
jdlessley wrote:A birthday is based on a day and a month only and does not include the year. To create a list of all birthdays for 2011 the criteria would include the attribute Birthday, the compare operation "is or is after", and the value "01 Jan". Note there is no year.
If you really want the Birth Date, then choose that field (rather than "Birthday"). The "Birth Date" does include a year. But for a custom birthday report, you probably do simply want the "Birthday", as jdlessley accurately described.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tmellor

Post by tmellor »

Thanks for the replies!

Alan_Brown: I do want the Birthday rather than the Birth Date, but it's good to know I can use both. (even though Age seems to be easier for most situations).

jdlessley: When I use the calendar control and choose Jan 1, 2011, no results are returned. I presume that if I change it to Jan 1, 2010 it will work and give me the correct results. So for some reason picking Jan 1, 2011 and picking Jan 1, 2010 seem to resolve to something different even though they both just show Jan 1 after dropping the year. I'll use the workaround, but it may be worth double checking there isn't a bug in the calendar control. Let me know if you can't duplicate this behavior.

Tim
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tmellor wrote:When I use the calendar control and choose Jan 1, 2011...
This doesn't sound right. In the calendar control (Select Date control) you should not be able select a year beyond the current year. I do not know how you are able to select Jan 1, 2011. You may want to check your system date to see if it is correct.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

tmellor wrote:Thanks for the replies!

Alan_Brown: I do want the Birthday rather than the Birth Date, but it's good to know I can use both. (even though Age seems to be easier for most situations).

jdlessley: When I use the calendar control and choose Jan 1, 2011, no results are returned. I presume that if I change it to Jan 1, 2010 it will work and give me the correct results. So for some reason picking Jan 1, 2011 and picking Jan 1, 2010 seem to resolve to something different even though they both just show Jan 1 after dropping the year. I'll use the workaround, but it may be worth double checking there isn't a bug in the calendar control. Let me know if you can't duplicate this behavior.

Tim
If I use Birthday then I can't change the year to the future in the control - which makes sense since the year doesn't apply for the comparison.
If I use Birth Date then I can change the year. If I change the year to Jan 1, 2011 then I wouldn't expect to get any results, because that would be asking for people that were born next year.:)

Return to “Reports and Forms”