Handout for ward members- introduce calendar, etc

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Handout for ward members- introduce calendar, etc

Post by kisaac »

I've made a double-sided page to handout to our ward members introducing the new Ward Tools on LDS.org. I've made it in part based on questions I've already answered about how to see the directory and calendar, and in part to inspire the local leaders that they need to get up to speed with it as well.

While we really haven't officially made the switch yet to the calendar, the word is out, and people are already asking to use it. Tell me what you think.

I wish I had this ready at the start of tithing settlement!

I'll include PDF and openoffice files, of the same document, if anyone wants to use it as a template for their own handout.

I'd like to see whatever you've made as well!
Attachments
ldsorg-announce.pdf
(363.73 KiB) Downloaded 1116 times
ldsorg-announce.odt
(198.36 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kisaac wrote: I'd like to see whatever you've made as well!
Here is what I made for us to hand out with tithing settlement. It's not nearly as fancy as yours. It referred to new.lds.org since we did most of our tithing settlement Nov 16 - Nov 23.
Attachments
new.lds.org.pdf
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
showseason-p40

Thanks

Post by showseason-p40 »

These handouts are great. I was just starting to think of something I would work on too, so it saves me the effort.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I like the two-page handout posted at the beginning of this discussion... but... I'm afraid it's just too wordy and I'm not sure people in my ward would want to read the whole thing.

I'm running into what could be a very exciting opportunity. I talked some about the new LDS.org in our PEC meeting this morning and people seemed to agree that it would be good to give the whole ward (or at least a big chunk of the ward) a detailed tutorial on all of this (including how to get the most out of the new calendar system). So, since there's a Fifth Sunday in January, I may get the chance to give such a tutorial during a combined Priesthood and Relief Society meeting.

Perhaps we should all lobby for the chance to take time on the fifth Sunday in January. Perhaps we could all share ideas on how to best instruct the ward members in such a setting. What are the FAQs of the general membership when it comes to the church web site and the local uses? If you had, say, 30 minutes to dazzle a captive audience about what's so special, what would you do?
jsnauvoo

January 5th Sunday

Post by jsnauvoo »

Thanks for sharing the ideas of how to teach our ward members about the new tools. In my ward the Bishopric has been asking me do a 5th Sunday lesson since this past summer.

I was hoping that an more detailed Powerpoint presentation would be shared. So far the introduction videos, and help messages have been good, but more tutorials are needed.

Please keep sharing ideas!

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

GregAnderson wrote:If you had, say, 30 minutes to dazzle a captive audience about what's so special, what would you do?
Using PowerPoint, a scripted simulated walk though of the site and features. Why PowerPoint? Because you can rely on it to work at showtime. :D

What I usually do for that kind of thing is just take a number if screen shots and make them PowerPoint slides. Then as i do the presentation, I move the mouse - which makes the pointer appear - and I click on the appropriate place on the screen. As long as you don't deviate from the script the audience will never know it's not the live site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

my January 5th sunday has been 'arranged' for me by tour area presidency - who want us to use the time to present new pass-along cards, their merits and usage.

Not that I object to being instructed - but I did kind of already have a plan to share the new website tools / calendar offering instead… oh well.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

GregAnderson wrote:I like the two-page handout posted at the beginning of this discussion... but... I'm afraid it's just too wordy and I'm not sure people in my ward would want to read the whole thing.
I didn't expect everyone to read (or need) the whole thing, but to have as a reference- so they can use what they do need. We have a wide gap of computer experience in our ward. I find many people need no instruction at all, especially if they've used computers, but many others still need detailed "step-by-step" instructions just to get logged-on. I don't want to leave anyone behind, or have them feel the church is becoming "technical" and they can't keep up (I heard somebody say that!) I only had half my ward signed up on LUWS!

The plan now is to highlight these points, and get more specific in small chunks in the ward announcement sheet for the next few months.

This was based on the questions I'm already seeing. Those question have not been specific about the directory or calendar use, but general, as in "How Do I Log on," "I've forgot my password," etc. Your ward may be different.

We've already handed out a leadership packet on using the new calendar, and plan to have a "live" demonstration in PEC with projector and laptop, and PowerPoint is a good idea.

A fifth Sunday meeting has also been discussed, but not yet scheduled, also using a "live" how-to session. It's also been suggested that we use our family history library computers (we have it in our building) as a "training resource."[INDENT]
"If you have questions, problems or would like to see how you can use your computer to do family history or use the new LDS.org tools, meet Brother Tech in the family history library tuesday night..."
[/INDENT]
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:Using PowerPoint, a scripted simulated walk though of the site and features. Why PowerPoint? Because you can rely on it to work at showtime. :D

... As long as you don't deviate from the script the audience will never know it's not the live site.
really great idea! And do you have the same in a "handout" you give before or after?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RussellHltn wrote:Why PowerPoint? Because you can rely on it to work at showtime. :D
I should have also added that the screen updates are faster as well. :)
kisaac wrote:And do you have the same in a "handout" you give before or after?
No, I haven't done handouts. If I did, I'd probably just stick to the "meat" of the presentation - such as a list of what you can expect to to find on the site and a list of steps to get logged on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”