Wii

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Roger-p40

Wii

Post by Roger-p40 »

Does anyone have the Wii hooked up to their tv and internet and able to play BYU.TV or general conference?

Is it possible? and if so how does it work? Smooth or jumpy? Or not at all?

thanks
Roger
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

I've got a wii, but I haven't seen how to stream movies other than Netflix with the Netflix disc. I imagine streaming byu.tv would require a custom wii program.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

Streaming video is not a problem on the Wii (I use the BBC iPlayer on it) but it is true that a custom app would have to be written to achieve this for BYU TV.
Roger-p40

Wii

Post by Roger-p40 »

Thanks

I went to my sister who has one and could only get the message that it only supported Windows and Mac.

So guess it won't work for now.

Roger
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Windows and Mac are just the operating system platforms, the app would have to be written to support those along with the items unique to the Wii itself. Ditto for Playstations and other similar devices. Those, and even DVD and Blu-Ray players and other devices are moving towards this, many are either incorporating or plan to incorporate Netflix and Pandora into their systems now via either a firmware solution or via DVD software depending on the device.

I've actually heard of someone listening to Mormon Channel content on a Playstation, it takes podcasts at least.

But the BYUTV one is a good idea, maybe one for Mormon Channel and future podcast aggregators that would use Church content.
JamesSimon-p40

Post by JamesSimon-p40 »

i got 2 wii, but i don't use them as much as Xbox360 gaming is concerned. i don't really get the sixaxis Dualshock controller of PS3, so i stick with my box.
always refer to written documents. saves you from using Google. lol.
Tevya-p40

Post by Tevya-p40 »

With BYU Basketball on BYU TV, plus BYU Football coming next season, plus all the good childrens and family entertainment, I'm sure people would really appreciate a Wii app, as well as X-Box, PS3, etc. Would definitely be a good thing and be widely used.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Yes the Playstation does take podcasts, I think there is a page for podcast content for the console, and it does list some of Mormon Channel's material. In the discussion over the Roku device it was found that there is a page that shows some content available on the web, and that showed a number of Mormon Channel program titles.

But apps for web-enabled TV and devices are the next thing, some have already been mentioned, and any development for the devices will have to take into account the specific requirements of each device. One report I saw puts Pandora on at least 200 devices already or known to be in the works.

Auto manufacturers like Ford, Toyota, and BMW are offering in-car Internet, and will need the apps to add voice-recognition features to fit their systems, this is so the driver can simply call up the program or station, it's already being done for Pandora, and a few others, and the need to develop for these in-car systems is going to be significant. A study on radio usage says the average American radio user listens 20 hours or so a week, over 8 hours of that in the car. Some do it a lot more, especially if they travel around a lot, and a few do it much less, especially if they do not drive a lot or have to go very short distances, so needs will vary.

As to BYUTV, I have noticed a playlist on Mormon Channel's Youtube page listing some BYUTV generated/produced content already, that makes it possible for at least some items right from Youtube, but accessing BYUTV's other content will require a separate app or routine within an app I think.

Return to “General Discussions”