MLS no longer requires it to be installed on Administrator profile

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

MLS no longer requires it to be installed on Administrator profile

Post by jdlessley »

MLS version 3.3 no longer requires it be installed on a Windows profile with administrator privileges. This allows administrative computers to implement standard configuration management of user profiles.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:MLS version 3.3 no longer requires it be installed on a Windows profile with administrator privileges. This allows administrative computers to implement standard configuration management of user profiles.

Has anyone actually tried this yet, to see how well it works? [grin]
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

When I installed on my laptop to use for testing I had to run as an administrator once first before my non-admin account could run MLS.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kd7mha wrote:When I installed on my laptop to use for testing I had to run as an administrator once first before my non-admin account could run MLS.
Was this a Windows 7 system?

Before Windows 7 the limitation that required the administrator privileges was the send/receive. Test installs could always be run on any Windows XP user account. It just never had the capability to do a send/receive and therefore had no problems.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

jdlessley wrote:Was this a Windows 7 system?

Before Windows 7 the limitation that required the administrator privileges was the send/receive. Test installs could always be run on any Windows XP user account. It just never had the capability to do a send/receive and therefore had no problems.
woops...

Windows 7 Home Premium
MLS Beta from last week
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Just to make sure everyone understands .... MLS 3.3 is compatible with both Windows 7 and Windows XP. A test install will not identify send/receive issues since that feature is not available for the test ward 108 and the test stake 2224445.
JD Lessley
bellingson

Post by bellingson »

jdlessley wrote:Just to make sure everyone understands .... MLS 3.3 is compatible with both Windows 7 and Windows XP.
We just received a new computer for our ward and I've been trying to get a non admin user for ward auxiliaries to use. I have been trying to figure out how to get our Limited user account on MS XP to run MLS 3.3.1. When I start up MLS from the non admin account I get the following error message "The user does not have sufficient privileges to run MLS: [USER_NAME]"

I've read in this post along with several others that MLS 3.3 will run with a non admin account, but that is not what I am seeing right now with our computer. Is there something that I need to do with MLS or with the user account to get MLS to work on the non admin user account?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bellingson wrote:We just received a new computer for our ward and I've been trying to get a non admin user for ward auxiliaries to use. I have been trying to figure out how to get our Limited user account on MS XP to run MLS 3.3.1.

While the release notes did say that Administrator was no longer required, I don't recall it saying that it would run under Limited User which is two steps down. (Power User being between them.) Nor have we gotten any new guidance on just how MLS should be set up. I haven't seen any guidance saying that multiple Windows accounts were acceptable for MLS usage. The last written word we got was that all MLS users were to use the same Windows account. And since updates can be pushed down during a send/receive, I wouldn't want to be running with a Windows account that might prevent them from installing properly.

In aviation there's a saying that anyone who goes beyond the Pilot's Operating Handbook becomes an unpaid test pilot. I think you're in a similar situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”