Release Candidate 1

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for all versions of Windows Phone.
shanewalters

Release Candidate 1

Post by shanewalters »

We have just posted the first release candidate. You can download here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Gos ... andidate_1. Please be advised that this only works on professional devices (touch screen). Another release will soon address standard devices (non-touch).
georggreindl

thanks

Post by georggreindl »

tested a little more on 6.1 and a 6.5.5. pro WinMo. The Manage Library failures are gone - thanks a lot!

When I call up the search function I cannot enter anything. The keypads are not accessible.

When the phone is in flight mode I suggest that some type of notification pops up - such as "The Manage Library function cannot be used in flight mode" - because first I thought the error message is caused by an installation error.

thanks again so much. I am glad to be able to have easy access to all this material!
shanewalters

Post by shanewalters »

The SIP (virtual keyboard) issue was caught during RC review. I have addressed it in the current code base, and it will be included in the official release or the next release candidate (whichever occurs first).

Regarding the flight mode issue, I am not familiar with this. Does this mean there is essentially no network connectivity? If so, then I will add better handling around this.

Thanks for the feedback.
jeffgrout01

Post by jeffgrout01 »

shanewalters wrote:The SIP (virtual keyboard) issue was caught during RC review. I have addressed it in the current code base, and it will be included in the official release or the next release candidate (whichever occurs first).

Regarding the flight mode issue, I am not familiar with this. Does this mean there is essentially no network connectivity? If so, then I will add better handling around this.

Thanks for the feedback.

With the flight mode on, there is no connectivity on the device (including no blue tooth and wi-fi).

NOTES:
I've tested using Win mobile 6.5.5 - I haven't found a way to close the program without using the task manager. Is this a user error on my end, or is there not a "Exit" option available?

One additional question/suggestion - would it be possible/practical to allow the user to choose the directory that saved files are installed to (allowing installation to either a memory card or the internal memory) when using the the "Manage Library" feature to add new content?

Overall, this is a fantastic, smooth and well-polished interface! Thanks!
cmovard

Post by cmovard »

I have downloaded the RC and have been experimenting a little with it. I like the looks and the format.

I have gotten an error on my phone (Samsung Omnia2, WinMobile 6.5 Professional) where it says MSWM.exe "OutOfMemoryException". Once I get this error, I cannot do much else until after I reboot (soft reset) the phone.

I also opened up one of the verses and clicked on the link for footnotes, etc. It opened up a small window of part of the bottom of the screen with those references in it, but I cannot seem to get it to go away, until the reboot again.

If I navigate to the "manage library" and select an item that I already installed, it will ask to install it again, even more that 2 copies. You have to make sure that you don't install a book that you already have. I have been able to uninstall them, but have to make sure that I do it I guess that it is supposed to show a check mark for the books installed, but it doesn't if it has been ended or rebooted or something. It is not keeping them for the "music" or the "magazine" or "general conference" sections.

The New Era is not available past March of 1990. The Liahona is not available for 2011.

It would be nice to have a way to "bookmark" for quick navigation to something that I am reading currently or studying, etc.

I would, out of curiosity, like to know where the "books" are stored. I hope they are not stored in the main memory of the phone, but in supplemental storage. It would be nice to be able to specify where they should be stored.

I have been using YanCEyWare for my scriptures, magazines, manuals, etc. for several years and I have loved it. One thing that they do, that you aren't doing, is allowing for highlighting in other books other than scriptures. They insert a tag for each paragraph. I like that, so that I can recognize something that I have found particularly interesting and want to remember.

These are a few of the issues that I have found. I hope this helps. I will try to keep using this to help improve it. I am amazed at the things that can be done with computers.

Return to “Windows Phone Gospel Library”