Migrated to new LDS.org Calendar, Want to delete/clear old Classic calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mmathson

Migrated to new LDS.org Calendar, Want to delete/clear old Classic calendar

Post by mmathson »

As a Stake we just migrated all events from the Classic LDS.org Calendar to the new LDS.org calendar system.

We would like the old Classic Stake Calendar to be clear and all events deleted so that the members will use the new LDS.org and not be confused.

Any ideas how to do this?

The interface during the Calendar Setup Wizard was a bit misleading having the Delete link on the left for old events. Well I found out it doesn't delete the event off the old calendar.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mem wrote:We would like the old Classic Stake Calendar to be clear and all events deleted so that the members will use the new LDS.org and not be confused.

One detail to be aware of is that there are some third-party tools that use the Classic Stake/Ward Calendars to bring events to hand-held devices. I certainly can see that you wouldn't want to maintain two calendars going forward -- that could be confusing -- but I just wanted to mention that you may get some grumbling from some members who suddenly see their calendar events disappearing.

But as for your question, if the setup wizard won't delete the old events, then I don't know of any way to clean up the old calendar, except to delete each event one by one.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mmathson

Post by mmathson »

Alan,

Understood and we considered that, but an announcement has been sent out stake wide to stop using the old calendar system.

Ouch, removing them one by one would be killer. Hopefully there is a better way. Anyone? ;-)
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:One detail to be aware of is that there are some third-party tools that use the Classic Stake/Ward Calendars to bring events to hand-held devices. I certainly can see that you wouldn't want to maintain two calendars going forward -- that could be confusing -- but I just wanted to mention that you may get some grumbling from some members who suddenly see their calendar events disappearing.
The transition will be confusing for some folks. In general, the Church is promoting a shift from third-party tools to Church-sponsored tools for several functions, many of them Community projects. That transition will be a little bumpy.

Right now, my stake uses the legacy calendar site, and the third-party Ward Central app on my Android does quite a good job of downloading and displaying it. Hopefully, by the time my stake converts to the new calendar site, the new Android version of LDS Tools, which I also use, will have caught up and implemented its calendar functionality. LDS Tools will pull from the new site via an API.

With the calendar functions, since the data will be published via a more generalized interface that can still populate generalized calendar apps such as Google automatically, users will have the chance to read the calendars in multiple tools. I happen to like to like my church calendar separate from my general business/personal calendar, with the option to add church items to my general calendar myself. But others prefer an overall integrated view. I think it's good to support both.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mem wrote:We would like the old Classic Stake Calendar to be clear and all events deleted so that the members will use the new LDS.org and not be confused.

The only way to clear events from the classic calendar is to delete them one by one. There just is no other way.

Did you know there are no churchwide events calendar for the new calendar? Not yet anyway. So the only source, calendar wise, is the classic calendar. I have not used the migration tool and I have not seen anyone post anything about Churchwide Events in regard to the migration tool so those events may also not migrate. Even if they do, any added events after a migration will not show.

A work around for this is to copy those events into a calendar called Churchwide Events until CHQ makes them available on the new calendar. Of course the person that does this will have to regularly review the classic calendar for these newly appearing Churchwide Events.

To help people realize the new calendar is the one being used is to create a repeating daily event on the classic calendar that has a title that prompts them to use the new calendar. To make the event stand out use HTML bold tags. The comments for the event can have more detailed instructions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mmathson

Post by mmathson »

Thanks, and great tips on the Church Wide Events calendar and also putting an indicator on Classic calendar. I am going to do that.

Appreciate the LDS Tech community.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mem wrote:Ouch, removing them one by one would be killer. Hopefully there is a better way. Anyone? ;-)
Well, you could wait until the old/classic calendar goes away. They will all disappear then. [grin]
mmathson

Post by mmathson »

True, but then we will have mass confusion during all of 2011 with people running around with outdated calendars etc :)
mmathson

ahhh!

Post by mmathson »

lajackson wrote:Well, you could wait until the old/classic calendar goes away. They will all disappear then. [grin]
Well I did it. Everything is deleted on old calendar, even the non-repeating weekly events. (can't believe someone scheduled like that, ick)

Feels good.

Definitely adding a Church Wide Events calendar until CHQ puts out official one. :)

Return to “Calendar”