Broadcast Questions

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
JacobHaug

Broadcast Questions

Post by JacobHaug »

Hello Everyone!

Our stake has recently been investing a lot of time and resources into getting a broadcast system setup so that we can broadcast stake events. (E.g. Stake Conference...etc.)

I was hoping I could get your advise as to what we need, and what you would recommend. We rather tight on money, so we need a plan that will fit our budget. So, without further ado....here are my questions!

1) Have any of you ever watched American Idol? What a weird question, right? Well, on American Idol when a contestant sings, you'll see the contestants name and a phone number to vote for that contestant. We'd like to do this same effect during our stake conference.

The only way I can think of to describe this effect is that it's some sort of text overlay. How would we go about applying a text overlay with the speakers name and calling?

2) We have a decent computer to do broadcasts on, however, we can't find a video input card that works with the Church's broadcasting software. What video input cards would you recommend? We have two cameras that we'd like to switch back and forth between.

3) What sort of setup do you guys have? Are you using the church's hardware solution, or the software solution.......or some other solution entirely?

4) Do we need a video mixer or audio mixer to change between cameras?

5) Can you give me the setup you guys are using so I can figure out what to buy!

Thanks in advance for your help! :D
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If you do a search in the Building-to-Building Communications forum (the same forum this thread is in) using the keyword webcast you will find a number of threads addressing the questions you have. There were too many that I found to list them here. There is a great deal of information and recommendations in those threads.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JacobHaug wrote:So, without further ado....here are my questions!
Have you reviewed the wiki pages starting with Meetinghouse Webcast? There is a wealth of information there, addressing many if not all of your questions. In particular, the Availability article discusses hardware that is compatible with Meetinghouse Webcast. Then use the navigation box to find other related articles.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JacobHaug

Post by JacobHaug »

Yes, I've reviewed almost all of the threads within this area. It answers most of my questions, however, I can't find the answer to question 1 anywhere.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JacobHaug wrote:Yes, I've reviewed almost all of the threads within this area. It answers most of my questions, however, I can't find the answer to question 1 anywhere.
That is discussed as text overlay.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

With a fast look at Google (searching for "inserting teletext video") I found out that you need some more hardware.
Maybe a long search will reveal a software solution!
I'll check out.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

For Linux there's freej!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
silid

Post by silid »

Many video mixers can do 'luma key'. This is like chroma key (green screen) except instead of based on chrominance is based on luminance.

This is fine for text overlay as you can have a black background which will not be shown and text can be shown over the top. You can use something as simple as powerpoint or it's openoffice equivalent to achieve this (if your PC has a video out).

If you need to display something that is black - like a black outline on text - use something just off black, like a dark grey and this will show and achieve a nice result.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”