New Temple Recommend Activations

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Our stake is now in full swing with the new Temple Recommends. But I noticed something odd with MLS today. I am the Ward Clerk and the Admin of our MLS program. When I logged onto the computer this morning I noticed that it said I needed to print the Temple Recommend Activation Report. When I clicked on it it then said, "You do not have privileges to view this info." However, I was able to print the report and then view it there. But I just found it odd that I couldn't view it on the computer but could print it and then read it just the same.
opee

Post by opee »

I saw the same bug the other day on the Stake computer. Once I gave myself View and Edit rights to the recommends, then I was able to see it on the screen.

I think that it is a bug not having rights but still being able to print...
dlernstrom

Bug in MLS -- Recommend data

Post by dlernstrom »

I am the membership clerk for our ward in Logan, Utah. We were just recently impacted by the recommend changes in our version of MLS. Being the membership clerk, I don't have 'admin' access to the computer to change permissions, etc. So when my ability to enter recommend information into MLS was stripped from me (a task I really enjoyed doing, let me assure you...) I noticed my access to view recommend information/expirations was also removed.

For those not aware, there is a new feature/module in the ward level MLS that adds the appropriate links to view recommend expirations, etc. It is turned off by default and needs to be turned on by the ward MLS admin.

One of the Bishopric members and I started toying around with MLS through my now limited privilege set and discovered that even though I didn't have access formally to the data, I could still access such information by creating a custom report. My assumption is that if I wasn't supposed to have the links through the regular menus, I shouldn't be authorized to create reports deriving from the same data.

Am I the only one that has come across this or sees it as a bug?

-David Ernstrom
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

dlernstrom wrote:I am the membership clerk for our ward in Logan, Utah. We were just recently impacted by the recommend changes in our version of MLS. Being the membership clerk, I don't have 'admin' access to the computer to change permissions, etc. So when my ability to enter recommend information into MLS was stripped from me (a task I really enjoyed doing, let me assure you...) I noticed my access to view recommend information/expirations was also removed.

For those not aware, there is a new feature/module in the ward level MLS that adds the appropriate links to view recommend expirations, etc. It is turned off by default and needs to be turned on by the ward MLS admin.

One of the Bishopric members and I started toying around with MLS through my now limited privilege set and discovered that even though I didn't have access formally to the data, I could still access such information by creating a custom report. My assumption is that if I wasn't supposed to have the links through the regular menus, I shouldn't be authorized to create reports deriving from the same data.

Am I the only one that has come across this or sees it as a bug?

-David Ernstrom
I have found it too
SmithGW

Post by SmithGW »

In order to view or edit temple recommend information (edit is only on the stake level), the Administrator must grant the rights, even to himself. This is "on purpose" so that not just anyone has access to this information. If you are an Administrator, just go to the usual place where you enter new users or grant rights and you will be able to add these rights to the persons the bishop or stake president decides should have these rights.
dlernstrom

Post by dlernstrom »

Um... I don't think you read the above posts very carefully. We understand that process of granting rights officially. However, without the rights, sombody WITHOUT RIGHTS can create a custom report to view the information that was supposed to be hidden from them.

The "on purpose" wasn't successfully carried out.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”