Windows Phone 7 apps (scriptures/lds tools)

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for all versions of Windows Phone.
they-p40

Windows Phone 7 apps (scriptures/lds tools)

Post by they-p40 »

Can anyone from either team (scriptures / lds tools) provide any kind of an update on the progress?

I know there is a list e-mail addresses listed on the wiki: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/LDS ... dows_Phone but I hesitate to e-mail them directly and ask about this. (the page last updated in october).

As for the WP7 scriptures project, I downloaded the code and the version in the svn appears to be quite old (edited last in July), and from the CTP build of the SDK.

I'd like to help out if needed, but it's really hard to tell if progress is being made or not.
they-p40

Post by they-p40 »

.......so I looked at the LDS tools app, and I must say it seems to be in much better state. It loads right up in the RTM SDK and runs in the emulator with some sample data. :)
riceboyler

Post by riceboyler »

I've been helping with the LDS Tools app and it's pretty decently far along. Still working out the UI and some other issues, but it's coming along nicely.

I'd like to see where the Gospel Library and Mormon Channel apps are, as I miss them. :)
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

I have a WP7 device and am missing the gospel library also.
dyarn

Windows Phone 7 Apps

Post by dyarn »

I agree! I have a Win Phone 7 and the only LDS scriptures available are a paid version and not very good. Really looking forward to having all of the LDS apps that other mobile platforms have had for some time. Can we at least get an estimated delivery date so we know when to look for them?

Thanks.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dyarn wrote:I agree! I have a Win Phone 7 and the only LDS scriptures available are a paid version and not very good.
I've been using the free YanCEyware reader with my WM6 smartphone for a couple of years. Don't see why it wouldn't work with 7. They have an enormous amount of content ported from church and other publications with more being added each month. I'm also looking forward to the LDS app, but until that happens, this is an alternative is worth looking at.

[EDIT: Oops, I just read up on this a bit further and found WP7 is way too different to support the WM6.x version of the YanCEyware reader and no update is expected. Sorry about the misleading info.]
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Mikerowaved wrote:[EDIT: Oops, I just read up on this a bit further and found WP7 is way too different to support the WM6.x version of the YanCEyware reader and no update is expected. Sorry about the misleading info.]
Yeah, it's a completely different development stack for writing mobile apps. It relies entirely on Silverlight for it's UI implementation, instead of mobile version of WinForms as pre-WP7 did.

I know that a few WP7 development teams have been formed for mobile apps. I have first-hand experience with browsing around the source code of the Mormon Channel radio and content streaming app, it is coming along decently. I had also heard that there was some sort of partnership with Microsoft or one of its partners to help develop or consult on one of the community apps in order to showcase the new phone and its OS (very kind of them I'd say, but I bet they are benefiting from exposure; hopefully I'm not mistaken of what I thought I had heard). In truth though, I have no real idea of any timelines, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them came out officially within the first half of this year (seems reasonable to me from the limited knowledge I have of the status of the projects).
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I have had WM phones for as long as I can remember and has finally "jumped ship".

One of my kids said "Dad, you tell people they needed to choose software first and then os/hardware later so why don't you?"

He was right, why dont I do what I preach myself and so I went for an Android phone so I could get the church apps immediately. And its a bliss using them.

Best thing about it was that I sold my old WM6 phone to one of those online companies that buy old phones and got 50% of the price of the new phone.
shanewalters

Post by shanewalters »

The reality is that MS doesn't have an army of open source software developers. While they have slightly more developers for proprietary software, it's still a meager number. That said, I'm running the Android apps, too :D
captainsaopaulo

Free scripture app

Post by captainsaopaulo »

There is a free scripture app for wp7 now called Standard Works if you are looking for something to hold you over till Gospel Library comes out.

Return to “Windows Phone Gospel Library”