New check stock with only a single signature?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
RossEvans

New check stock with only a single signature?

Post by RossEvans »

Our ward just opened the latest batch of blank check stock, and we were surprised to find that the checks have only a single signature block. Historically the checks have had blocks for two signatures, and both were required.

Is this a change in policy, or an error in printing?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

boomerbubba wrote:Our ward just opened the latest batch of blank check stock, and we were surprised to find that the checks have only a single signature block. Historically the checks have had blocks for two signatures, and both were required.

The last time this happened to us, we called the Finance Department, and they said it was a misprint. That was many years ago. Times may have changed. I would get confirmation before I used them, however. Were there any instructions in the box?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I don't think this policy has changed - they still use the law of witnesses when it comes to finances. Very likely a misprint.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:The last time this happened to us, we called the Finance Department, and they said it was a misprint. That was many years ago. Times may have changed. I would get confirmation before I used them, however. Were there any instructions in the box?
Our stake just received new check stock, and it also has only one signature line. So it's either a new policy (I doubt it) or a more widespread mistake in printing (that's my guess).

The notice in the box simply said that if there were any errors to contact our provider.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:Our stake just received new check stock, and it also has only one signature line. So it's either a new policy (I doubt it) or a more widespread mistake in printing (that's my guess).

The notice in the box simply said that if there were any errors to contact our provider.
I called Finance support yesterday. They said it was a misprint. They are expediting a new batch. Hope it arrives soon.

p.s. I meant to post this feedback last night, but the tech.lds.org servers were down.
86Bengal-p40

Post by 86Bengal-p40 »

boomerbubba wrote:Our ward just opened the latest batch of blank check stock, and we were surprised to find that the checks have only a single signature block. Historically the checks have had blocks for two signatures, and both were required.

Seems widespread. We just got a batch of single-line checks too.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

86Bengal wrote:Seems widespread. We just got a batch of single-line checks too.
Is it Ok to use the checks and put two signatures on them, or do we just need to wait until new checks arrive.

And do we each need to call in and let them know we got single line checks?

Inquiring minds . . .
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

lajackson wrote:Is it Ok to use the checks and put two signatures on them, or do we just need to wait until new checks arrive.

I would guess that the answer to the second question is yes, you need to call and report the error. Be prepared for a long wait listening to hymns.

As for whether it is okay to use the checks, we already did out of necessity on Sunday, and I called on Monday. I asked the same question, and was told, "You're going to want to use the new checks, not the old ones."

Since that was not definitive -- what I want is not the issue -- I kicked the decision to the Bishop last night when we needed to write two more emergency checks. We wrote them.

In all cases, we have signed the checks with two signatures, even though there is only one signature line.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

boomerbubba wrote:I would guess that the answer to the second question is yes, you need to call and report the error. Be prepared for a long wait listening to hymns.
In this situation, I'd fire off an email via MLS. I don't see a benefit to the call.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

boomerbubba wrote:
lajackson wrote:Is it Ok to use the checks and put two signatures on them, or do we just need to wait until new checks arrive.

I would guess that the answer to the second question is yes, you need to call and report the error. Be prepared for a long wait listening to hymns.
I'm not saying this is actually true in anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if CHQ can somehow identify the "batch" of bad checks and automatically resend them to the affected units. However, better to be safe than sorry, and either call or perhaps MLS message as RussellHltn suggested.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”