Programmatic access to the membership directory

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
qslewis

Programmatic access to the membership directory

Post by qslewis »

It would seem that the issue of copying the ward list for maps and maintaining changes in the membership directory could be (partially) addressed by providing some type of programmatic (e.g. web service) interface to the membership directory. Is this a good idea? Would it be permissible for calling applications to act as a pass-thru for the name/password?

(Right now I think you can log onto lds.org/units "normally," which caches your session and would allow a subsequent website to access the URL to the CSV file on lds.org/units once you've authenticated. In other words, you can still have a map application that uses the membership directory without copying it. However, I haven't been successful in doing this without the web browser.)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

qslewis wrote:It would seem that the issue of copying the ward list for maps and maintaining changes in the membership directory could be (partially) addressed by providing some type of programmatic (e.g. web service) interface to the membership directory. Is this a good idea? Would it be permissible for calling applications to act as a pass-thru for the name/password?
I'm working with the various departments that control data to see if this is feasible.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I am working on an API that would interface with LUWS through normal HTTP commands. Though I've been (and am) sick for the past 2 weeks so it has been on the back burner for awhile.
- David
dlernstrom

API Access to membership directory

Post by dlernstrom »

I would personally love API access to membership information. I'm working through some programming project ideas and allowing a user to supply their ward website username and password would reduce the complexity of maintaining two databases significantly.

-David Ernstrom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I know the church is looking into this. As for my project it still is on the back burner until after finals. This API that I am personally creating has no affiliation to any church sponsered project and it really is so additional projects that I plan on implementing for my own or community purposes can have easy access into the LUWS system.

Since this project is not sponsered or affiliated with the church and really relys on the current implementation of LUWS it will only work until LUWS is updated or the HTML format of information is changed. (Thus the reason why the community wanted a XML formatted API into LUWS)
- David

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”