Questions about Membership Directory Pictures

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
michaelfish

Questions about Membership Directory Pictures

Post by michaelfish »

In regards to the new.lds.org website directory pictures, great job, FANTSTIC IMPROVEMENTS! I LOVE IT! However, I have some questions regarding pictures not showing up after being uploaded.

Question #1 - Printing Member Directory with Pictures:
The old lds.org member directory had an option to include pictures in the directory list, which was very useful when printed on a color printer. (I would hand out a new member a list with the pictures to welcome them into the ward). It was a great tool. Does anyone know if there are plans to include pictures in the directory for print? If it is already there, help me find it...

Question #2 - Photo uploaded but does not show in PHOTOS:
It seems that the PHOTOS button (on the left side) shows only pictures a member has uploaded. I'm the Website Administrator and I've just uploaded my ward (family AND individual pictures) but the household pictures do not populate the PHOTOS page (except for my own). How can the Website Administrator get all pictures to populate on PHOTOS? (Other than just my picture...it seems I can do this only for my personal record.)

Question #3 - Individual pictures do not show under HOUSEHOLDS:
How can the administrator get individual pictures under the HOUSEHOLDS screen (HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD and OTHER HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS) to be displayed?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

michaelfish wrote:Question #1 - Printing Member Directory with Pictures:
The old lds.org member directory had an option to include pictures in the directory list, which was very useful when printed on a color printer. (I would hand out a new member a list with the pictures to welcome them into the ward). It was a great tool. Does anyone know if there are plans to include pictures in the directory for print? If it is already there, help me find it...
Currently when you click the Print button, you get a printout of the plain old ward directory, no matter what you are looking at. I know that major changes to the print function are in the works, but I don't know specifically about including photos with the directory printout. I would assume that when you are on the Photos page, that the print function will then print household photos, but I don't have any details as to when that will be implemented.
michaelfish wrote:Question #2 - Photo uploaded but does not show in PHOTOS:
All photos have to be approved and/or assigned to a family. I'm not sure what permissions the ward website administrator has in this regard. I know that the ward clerk can do these approvals and assignments. If you have such permissions, then below the Export Households link you will see a separator line and then Upload Photos, New Photos, and Manage Photos. The Manage Photos area is where you approve photos and assign photos to members after a bulk Upload.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

michaelfish wrote: Question #2 - Photo uploaded but does not show in PHOTOS:
It seems that the PHOTOS button (on the left side) shows only pictures a member has uploaded. I'm the Website Administrator and I've just uploaded my ward (family AND individual pictures) but the household pictures do not populate the PHOTOS page (except for my own). How can the Website Administrator get all pictures to populate on PHOTOS? (Other than just my picture...it seems I can do this only for my personal record.)

How can the administrator get individual pictures under the HOUSEHOLDS screen (HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD and OTHER HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS) to be displayed?
All the pictures need to be approved. That can be done by the Bishopric including the executive secretary and clerk. Once they have been approved they will show up.
wallacer

Photos approved but do not show up

Post by wallacer »

I am a member of the bishopric. When I go to manage photos I see photos ready to approve but the approve check mark is grayed out. I can delete photos but I cannot approve them. They have been in this state for several days. These photos do not show up in the photo directory.
pierce1of5

Post by pierce1of5 »

wallacer wrote:I am a member of the bishopric. When I go to manage photos I see photos ready to approve but the approve check mark is grayed out. I can delete photos but I cannot approve them. They have been in this state for several days. These photos do not show up in the photo directory.

I'm a LUWS administrator when I go to the directory it has "upload,new,manage" photos I think you need to go to the "new photos" link to approve new photos. New photos is followed by a number in brackets,e.g. (0), is what usually see. If I see a number between the brackets I know there is a photo(s) to approve. If you can't approve photos you can log in to cdol.lds.org and see if you are a website admin. If you are not have a ward or stake admin make you one. My bishop has always been an admin for the LUWS.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pierce1of5 wrote:I'm a LUWS administrator when I go to the directory it has "upload,new,manage" photos I think you need to go to the "new photos" link to approve new photos. New photos is followed by a number in brackets,e.g. (0), is what usually see. If I see a number between the brackets I know there is a photo(s) to approve. If you can't approve photos you can log in to cdol.lds.org and see if you are a website admin. If you are not have a ward or stake admin make you one. My bishop has always been an admin for the LUWS.
Although that information is mostly helpful, I would note that being a LUWS administrator has nothing to do with your ability to do anything on the new Directory, and that it's not true that "a ward or stake admin [can] make you one." For the new Directory, only certain standard callings as entered in MLS will give you permission to act on the Directory for the ward (see Roles and Responsibilities for the list of callings).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
alicejensen

Another question regarding photo migration

Post by alicejensen »

As the Web site administrator, I have spent a lot of time taking pictures, cropping and reducing the size to put into the classic lds.org membership list. Are those photos I have spent so much time on going to migrate over to the new.lds.org directory? Please tell me they are working on it.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

alicejensen wrote:As the Web site administrator, I have spent a lot of time taking pictures, cropping and reducing the size to put into the classic lds.org membership list. Are those photos I have spent so much time on going to migrate over to the new.lds.org directory? Please tell me they are working on it.

I have not heard of any such plans. Even though you put a lot of work into those photos, I really don't think you would want those pictures to come across anyway. The problem with the old photos is that they were a tiny 180x135 pixels. But the new photos are displayed at up to 500x375. That's almost 8 times the resolution. If you brought the tiny pictures over, they would look rather silly.

The good news with the new site is that you don't have to hand-crop the pictures to make them an acceptable size. You may have to do some manual adjusting to get the pictures to have an optimal aspect ratio, but other than that, you can just upload your original household photos. You can even do that in bulk, and then simply assign the photos to the appropriate households. The system will take care of any needed resizing.

Note also that individual photos are a new feature of the new site, and very helpful for leadership directories, so that's another project you can take on when you have some free time. But be aware that members can upload their own photos, so this work doesn't have to be done centrally by one administrator anymore.
alicejensen

Post by alicejensen »

The good news with the new site is that you don't have to hand-crop the pictures to make them an acceptable size. You may have to do some manual adjusting to get the pictures to have an optimal aspect ratio, but other than that, you can just upload your original household photos. You can even do that in bulk, and then simply assign the photos to the appropriate households. The system will take care of any needed resizing.
Thanks for the quick response. The new site sounds so much easier in the photo "department." Now if I could just get the auxiliaries to start using the much easier calendar!
randy.mcdowell

Re: Questions about Membership Directory Pictures

Post by randy.mcdowell »

Some people have uploaded their photos, had them approved but the small picture next to their name is NOT created. How do you get the small pictures to show up next to their names? If you click on the icon reserved for these thumbnail photos, it will display the full sized photo. Problem is, you don't even know a picture is available to view because they don't have the small thumbnail picture next to their name in the directory listing.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”