new.lds.org My Study Notebook fairly unresponsive

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mkmurray

new.lds.org My Study Notebook fairly unresponsive

Post by mkmurray »

I'm trying to use the My Study Notebook features of new.lds.org on a few Ensign articles, but am becoming quickly frustrated with the slowness and unavailability of the "annotation service." I realize it is beta, but is utterly unusable currently. Perhaps there is an extremely heavy, but temporary load on the servers tonight, or maybe it is just poor performance of the JavaScript and AJAX implementation.

Creating an initial highlight of an entire paragraph is immediate, but it appears saving that back to the web servers is taking forever, sometimes lasting 2-5 minutes before it is actually saved to your profile (this is indicated by a pencil icon at the end of the highlight; also it won't appear if you refresh the page if it hasn't been properly persisted to the annotation service). The pencil icon then allows you to further narrow or enlarge the highlight, add tags, etc, all of which are even slower and more unreliable.

Is anyone else seeing the same problem? It is happening in the latest Firefox and Chrome.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

The entire website is unresponsive, sluggish, does not work well on some browsers (ie: firefox), etc.. I appreciate the attempt to pretty things up but so far no-one in my Ward who has asked me about it seems to like it as they prefer the old version due to the sluggishness and difficulty finding things with the new website. Just our opinion.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

This appears to be quite a bit more responsive currently. Perhaps this is related to other heavy load server problems that have been happening recently? Or perhaps the first time I used it, that feature was in high demand and there isn't yet sufficient infrastructure to deal with the traffic? Or maybe it was a temporary outage at that time? Whatever the case, I hope the current state can continue somehow.

Return to “Main Church Website”