Projected Budget Allowance Report

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Projected Budget Allowance Report

Post by aebrown »

Our stake just received the Q1 2011 Projected Quarterly Local Unit Budget Allowance Reports. It's pretty much what we expected, but here are some observations:
  • The "Effective Date" is listed as 6 Jan 2011. So I assume that is the date the transfers will actually occur in CUBS and then be downloadable into MLS. No mention is made of the how quickly adjustments to the Q3 2010 quarterly report or to the stake's allocation percentages would have to be made in order to affect these allocations. I would guess that is no later than 31 Dec 2010.
  • There are three sections:
    1. Quarterly Summary. This shows for each unit (including the stake, which is listed as "Parent Unit") the amount of the projected Q1 deposit, broken down by category (Sac Mtg, YM, YW, Pri, YSA). This will be one page (or two for stakes with many units).
    2. YTD Summary: This shows for each quarter of the year (only Q1 so far) the total unit deposits (just the sum for all wards on one line) and the parent unit deposits, broken down by category. Then there is also a similar YTD totals section. This should always fit on one page.
    3. Detail: For the quarter for each unit, there is a row for each category, showing the amount per attendee, attendance number, total allocation (product of the first two numbers), unit allocation %, unit allocation dollars, parent allocation %, parent allocation dollars, comments (these were blank on my report). Then at the end is the stake details, showing three columns (Total, Unit, and Parent) for each category. This takes multiple pages.
  • The cover letter said that unit leaders had been informed seperately, so I assume that means that wards received a similar report specifically for their wards. I have not yet verified this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Our stake just received the Q1 2011 Projected Quarterly Local Unit Budget Allowance Reports.
  • The cover letter said that unit leaders had been informed separately, so I assume that means that wards received a similar report specifically for their wards. I have not yet verified this.
Normally, I guess that would be Ok, but ours are going to change once we get access to the budget allocations link to fix things. I better add that to the bishopric training agenda for next week. [grin]
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:No mention is made of the how quickly adjustments to the Q3 2010 quarterly report or to the stake's allocation percentages would have to be made in order to affect these allocations. I would guess that is no later than 31 Dec 2010.
It would be nice to have that mentioned on the report for sure. My understanding of the statement in the 9-page message (New local unit financial processes update) sent down just before conversion to CUBS is that they must be submitted before the beginning of the new quarter, just as you stated (31 Dec 2010 for Jan 2011 disbursement):
These percentages need to be defined in MLS by the end of the month before the allowance is to take place.
2nd paragraph under Local unit budget allowance (~p3)
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lajackson wrote:Normally, I guess that would be Ok, but ours are going to change once we get access to the budget allocations link to fix things. I better add that to the bishopric training agenda for next week. [grin]
You can also call in your percentages if, as in your case, you cannot access the screen to enter them in MLS. Of course, the trick is getting in!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:You can also call in your percentages if, as in your case, you cannot access the screen to enter them in MLS. Of course, the trick is getting in!
I think once we get onto a regular schedule, as in, sometime later in 2011, things will settle down and work out better. Right now, we have to zero out two wards and manually issue checks because the third ward did not exist at the time of the 3rd quarter report. We are also a new stake, and have immediately found that just cutting the old budget in half will cause us grief.

So we have the perfect storm of a new financial system, a new ward division, and a new stake division, all rolled into one big tithing settlement. And apparently wards are receiving information about their 1st quarter allocations that they will wave at us and say, "But you promised" when they find out how much they are really getting. Bad form.

My adventures in getting a link in MLS to use are covered in another thread (I actually found a solution!). And as for getting through to the help desk, I have found it to be . . .

Ok, I decided to edit that last sentence in advance. Sorry to leave you in a lurch. Not like that has never happened to anyone here recently, eh? [grin]
lambertinut

Post by lambertinut »

Alan_Brown wrote:The cover letter said that unit leaders had been informed seperately, so I assume that means that wards received a similar report specifically for their wards. I have not yet verified this.
I can verify that my ward has received a letter stating what is expected for us. It is broken down by category. It shows how much the stake gets for our ward, and then what percent of each category we are given by the stake.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lambertinut wrote:I can verify that my ward has received a letter stating what is expected for us. It is broken down by category. it shows how much the stake gets for our ward, and then what percent of each category we are given by the stake.
Ooh. They are letting out all of our secrets now. And I guess the wards will see how we just changed it, too.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I'm looking at my stake report. The Project LUBA Quarterly Summary report contains all 0's for each unit, but show a reasonable amount in the Total Parent Unit's Share row. I suspect this is because we have not yet submitted percentages in MLS, even though the defaults are showing. I'm now curious if the stake MUST click submit, even if they are going to use the default percentages. It would appear so.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Alan_Brown wrote:No mention is made of the how quickly adjustments to the Q3 2010 quarterly report or to the stake's allocation percentages would have to be made in order to affect these allocations. I would guess that is no later than 31 Dec 2010.
I believe it would be safe to assume that, in addition to checks, any transfers between categories and any other financial adjustments would likely have to be transmitted to CHQ before noon Mountain Time 31 December 2010 in order to make it onto the December 2010 statement. This has been the typical pattern in years past, so I think is should be safe to assume the same will be true for the post-CUBS transition.
kh_design

40%

Post by kh_design »

We received our Q1 2011 Projected Quarterly Local Unit Budget Allowance Report this week. We see our Stake has staked out a 40% share of the budget. Is 40% the default that was set with the CUBS transition?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”