Family History Center Funding after CUBS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
homestd

Family History Center Funding after CUBS

Post by homestd »

The family history center in my ward has been funded using the "other" account for years. Until CUBS, all was well. When CUBS was implemented it transferred all of the family history center's film debit history to "Budget:Other".

In the Income Expense Report, the "Other Account:, still shows a positive balance but no expenses.

I'm Not sure how to cope with this change.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adonrich wrote:The family history center in my ward has been funded using the "other" account for years. Until CUBS, all was well. When CUBS was implemented it transferred all of the family history center's film debit history to "Budget:Other".

In the Income Expense Report, the "Other Account:, still shows a positive balance but no expenses.
How exactly were your previous FHC expenses categorized? Was it in a subcategory of Other, such as "Other:FHC"? Or was it simply in "Other"?

Our stake used "Other:FHC" and after CUBS, the only change is that the transactions were put in "Authorized Member Financed Activities", just like every other subcategory of "Other" we had created.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
homestd

Post by homestd »

It was categorized "Other:O-FAMILY HISTORY CENTER"
homestd

Post by homestd »

Maybe it is Ok. On my Expense Report the film debits are listed as "Other:Authorized Member Financed Activities". But I got concerned when I saw what appeared to be FHC charges listed on the Income and Expense Summary under "Budget:Budget Allocations:Other". Maybe I am just getting confused by the new categories mixed in with some of the old ones, while some of the old subcategories have disappeared altogether. I've been working with church finances for over 25 years. I just can't make much sense out of what CUBS has done in the transition.

Apparently the Stake Clerk hasn't figured it out either as he plans on not sending the wards and branches the checks for their unexpended allocations for 2010.

I hope this all is resolved before audit time.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adonrich wrote:Maybe it is Ok. On my Expense Report the film debits are listed as "Other:Authorized Member Financed Activities". But I got concerned when I saw what appeared to be FHC charges listed on the Income and Expense Summary under "Budget:Budget Allocations:Other". Maybe I am just getting confused by the new categories mixed in with some of the old ones, while some of the old subcategories have disappeared altogether.
That's good to hear. I would indeed have expected to see the film debits listed in "Other:AMFA".

The transactions in any subcategory of "Budget:Budget Allocations" are not really helpful; you should be zeroing out any balances in those subcategories by moving funds up to "Budget:Budget Allocations". Balances in those subcategories could have been caused by any deposits to a Budget subcategory over the last four years. I haven't ever seen any activity in Other reflected in "Budget:Budget Allocations".
adonrich wrote:Apparently the Stake Clerk hasn't figured it out either as he plans on not sending the wards and branches the checks for their unexpended allocations for 2010.
If the stake clerk is having problems, have him review information here on the forum and post questions if he has problems. I don't see how it's acceptable to just not give the wards any budget funds.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:I don't see how it's acceptable to just not give the wards any budget funds.
I can understand not being sure and wanting to hold back a reserve, but not giving any ..... yeah, I can't see how that would fly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
homestd

Post by homestd »

Thanks for the help. It's helping a lot.

In the "Balance Forward" column of my Income Expense Summary I have the following-

Budget:Budget Allocations
-$382,00

Budget:Budget Allocations:Bud-Library and Curriculum
$1.00

Budget:Budget Allocations:Bud-Ward
$30.00

Budget:Budget Allocations:Other
$311.00

Budget:Budget Allocations:Social Activities
$40.00

If I transfer these subcategories to Budget:Budget Allocations everything will zero out and I can then delete the subcategories?

Thanks Again
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adonrich wrote:If I transfer these subcategories to Budget:Budget Allocations everything will zero out and I can then delete the subcategories?
Eventually. Unfortunately, you can't actually delete them now -- categories created in the CUBS transition cannot be deleted. But by setting the balances to zero, you've prepared them so they will automatically be deleted as you move into the year 2014. If you don't set the balances to zero until next month, you'll have to wait until 2015.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”