Stake Clerk and Executive Secretary

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Stake Clerk and Executive Secretary

Post by lajackson »

We are a new stake and cannot enter our stake clerk and executive secretary into MLS.

No matter how many ways we try, we can go to Leader and Unit Change Request > Stake Leader and Unit Change Request and click on either the Stake Clerk or the Executive Secretary tab, then we can enter information in every square.

But MLS will always say, "All of the Required fields have not been completed." There are no more yellow fields. There are no more fields. We get the error whether we try to Save, Preview, or Print.

And going to the regular Organizations > Stake Presidency > Add Position link, when we click on the Position: Select button, there are no callings in the drop down box at all. No clerk, no exec sec, no assistant clerks. Nada.

We are open to any suggestions. We have already tried a complete reload of MLS. Thanks.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:We are a new stake and cannot enter our stake clerk and executive secretary into MLS.

No matter how many ways we try, we can go to Leader and Unit Change Request > Stake Leader and Unit Change Request and click on either the Stake Clerk or the Executive Secretary tab, then we can enter information in every square.

But MLS will always say, "All of the Required fields have not been completed." There are no more yellow fields. There are no more fields. We get the error whether we try to Save, Preview, or Print.

We are open to any suggestions. We have already tried a complete reload of MLS. Thanks.
You may have to check the other tabs. If they aren't filled in the form will give that error even if it looks like everything is filled in (for the tab you are on).
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lajackson wrote:And going to the regular Organizations > Stake Presidency > Add Position link, when we click on the Position: Select button, there are no callings in the drop down box at all. No clerk, no exec sec, no assistant clerks. Nada.
I can understand how Ryan Jones' suggestion could be preventing you from adding them using the first approach. However, I find it odd that the positions aren't even showing in your Organizations > Stake Presidency. I just added a new stake clerk about 2 months ago without any problems. So either MLS 3.2.3 has changed something or your install would appear to be bad (to me). It's simple enough to download the latest version and install it over your current one to see if that is the problem.

There is a slim chance (but likely not the problem) that their priesthood is listed in MLS as inadequate (not High Priests, or at least not on their membership records).

I seem to remember you saying you were a brand new stake. Is that correct? Is there a time lag to getting everything set up w/ CDOL, etc?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might try the "Request Unit Refresh Data" followed by some Send/Receive just to see if it needs to get something from CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ryan jones wrote:You may have to check the other tabs. If they aren't filled in the form will give that error even if it looks like everything is filled in (for the tab you are on).

This may be a problem then. We do not have a patriarch yet, so we cannot fill in those two tabs. If this is really the problem, is there a workaround? Would we send paper to CDOL and have it back fill to MLS?

This is how the presidency showed up. But they are the only three so far.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:It's simple enough to download the latest version and install it over your current one to see if that is the problem.

I seem to remember you saying you were a brand new stake. Is that correct? Is there a time lag to getting everything set up w/ CDOL, etc?

CDOL is good, although there are only three folks in it so far. We were going to rely on MLS to load everyone else.

Tried the reinstall. Simple, as you say, but did not solve the problem.
RussellHltn wrote:You might try the "Request Unit Refresh Data" followed by some Send/Receive just to see if it needs to get something from CHQ.

Tried that first thing because the Assistant Clerks were not showing in the drop down box. Did not solve the problem, and still no way to enter Assistant Clerks, although we are wondering if the Clerk has to be in there first.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Followup to my original problem:
lajackson wrote:We are a new stake and cannot enter our stake clerk and executive secretary into MLS. . . .

MLS will always say, "All of the Required fields have not been completed." There are no more yellow fields. There are no more fields. We get the error whether we try to Save, Preview, or Print.
Problem solved. There were more yellow fields that were not completed. They were hiding below the bottom of the screen. Once we scrolled down to get to them, everything seemed to work Ok. The names are on the way to CDOL.

Except for one thing. There was no scroll bar, so we had to tab to get to them.

And one other thing. We had to reload MLS to get the link to show up on the front page to get to the leadership forms. The only link under Other Resources was Church Audits. The other three links were missing, including the Leader and Unit Change Request link we needed. The reload restored the missing links.

Now the next step will be to figure out how to enter the assistant clerks. We still have this problem:
lajackson wrote:And going to the regular Organizations > Stake Presidency > Add Position link, when we click on the Position: Select button, there are no callings in the drop down box at all. No . . . assistant clerks. Nada.
We are still open to suggestions. The only thing we can think of is that they will show up now that we have a stake clerk.

But it is a long shot, and I do not really believe it. [grin]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:Assistant Clerks were not showing in the drop down box. Did not solve the problem, and still no way to enter Assistant Clerks, although we are wondering if the Clerk has to be in there first.
Ok, the stake clerk has been there a while now and there have been a few Send/Receives. One would think that we should go to the Stake Presidency link on the Organizations panel, click on the Add Positions link and then the Position Select button to find a drop down list that would include Assistant Stake Clerks.

The drop down list is empty. How do we enter an Assistant Stake Clerk into MLS. We are using 3.3b6.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:Ok, the stake clerk has been there a while now and there have been a few Send/Receives. One would think that we should go to the Stake Presidency link on the Organizations panel, click on the Add Positions link and then the Position Select button to find a drop down list that would include Assistant Stake Clerks.

The drop down list is empty. How do we enter an Assistant Stake Clerk into MLS. We are using 3.3b6.
I think to fix MLS you will need to call LUS, but if you would like to try first, I can add one to CDOL and see what happens when it comes down to MLS. Maybe you will be able to see it and change the person (I wouldn't bet on it,;) but we can try).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ryan jones wrote:I think to fix MLS you will need to call LUS
Being the glutton for fun and punishment, I called.

Will someone please humor me. Particularly if you are using the 3.3 beta 6. If you go to (Organizations) > Stake Presidency > Add Positions > (Position) Select do you get a list of standard callings that includes Assistant Stake Clerk.

If you go to (Organizations) > More > (Other Auxiliaries) > Primary > (Other Callings) Add Position > (Position) Select do you get a list of standard callings that includes anything other than Chorister and Pianist?

What about Sunday School > (Other Callings) Add Position > (Position) Select? Are there any callings on that list?

Because I promised to behave here, I will merely add that the call was escalated to the next higher tier and I was told if I did not hear back in a day or two I should call in again to followup.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”