Received new computer; need to transfer MLS data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
psnarula

Received new computer; need to transfer MLS data

Post by psnarula »

We received a new Windows 7 computer and now I (ward clerk) need to transfer the MLS data from the old computer to the new computer. Is this as simple as doing a backup / restore? I couldn't find anything on the Wiki about this.

Will a backup / restore work if the old computer is MLS 3.2.4 and the new computer is MLS 3.3(b5)?

Does backup / restore ensure that account information is retained?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind that 3.2.4 does not run under Windows 7 and since 3.3 is a beta, you should get approval from the stake president to run it.

A backup and restore should work (but remember, 3.3 is beta). While I'd expect a full folder backup to work, that can be a little more iffy when jumping between versions. Particularly since I suspect that 3.3 might save the data in a different location.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

psnarula wrote:Will a backup / restore work if the old computer is MLS 3.2.4 and the new computer is MLS 3.3(b5)?

Does backup / restore ensure that account information is retained?
I had a lot of trouble trying to get my new Windows 7 machine up and running w/ MLS two months ago. We found out post-CUBS conversion our database had gotten corrupted. That might have been what was causing the issue.

When I got the new windows 7 machine, it could not restore from the 3.2.2 (at the time) back-up. Instead, I had to install 3.3.0b2 on the old computer first, which migrated all that data to 3.3 format. A back-up created from that did restore (partially). I ended up copying over the entire MLS folder and that got it working.

Acount information is stored in the backup. You shouldn't lose anything.

Be aware that folder structure is completely different in MLS 3.3.0 and again on Windows 7 vs XP. See more here.
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

I checked on Sunday and it turns out that the version of MLS on the old computer was exactly the same as what I got when I did a full install of MLS 3.3b5 on the new Win7 workstation. I asked the stake clerk and he told me that our stake is a beta stake for MLS testing. So that explains why we already had 3.3 installed on the old machine.

I did a backup on the old machine, moved the backup file to the new machine, and did a restore. All MLS data was succesfully restored to the new Win7 workstation. So I didn't have any of the 3.2 / 3.3 compatibility problems that others have documented. Everything was going well until I did a send/receive. This failed with Error 2: "Unauthorized" (see attached). I have been trying to call MLS Support (801-240-3500) since Monday but they apparently have such high call volume that I can't even be put on hold. The system just hangs up on me and tells me to call back later. Grrrr....
Attachments
error.JPG
error.JPG (27.83 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

psnarula wrote: Everything was going well until I did a send/receive. This failed with Error 2: "Unauthorized" (see attached). I have been trying to call MLS Support (801-240-3500) since Monday but they apparently have such high call volume that I can't even be put on hold. The system just hangs up on me and tells me to call back later. Grrrr....
You can email them as well see Local Unit Support
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

Finally got through. I spent 18 minutes on hold before speaking to a technician. He said new computers need to have some sort of a security token reset so he did that and now everything should go through when I try again on Sunday. The old computer now is de-authorized so that guy isn't going to be working for send/receive anymore...
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

psnarula wrote:Finally got through. I spent 18 minutes on hold before speaking to a technician. He said new computers need to have some sort of a security token reset so he did that and now everything should go through when I try again on Sunday. The old computer now is de-authorized so that guy isn't going to be working for send/receive anymore...
Yes. It is a security measure to make sure 1) only one MLS can send/receive for any given unit and 2) keep unauthorized installs of MLS from accessing the information.

You need the re-authorize any time you install MLS on a new computer or perform a clean install on an old computer.
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

Is this on the Wiki somewhere? It would have been nice to know before tonight...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

psnarula wrote:Is this on the Wiki somewhere? It would have been nice to know before tonight...
Yes. The security reset is mentioned in:
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

psnarula wrote:We received a new Windows 7 computer and now I (ward clerk) need to transfer the MLS data from the old computer to the new computer. Is this as simple as doing a backup / restore? I couldn't find anything on the Wiki about this.
This procedure is covered in MLS installation and repair, but it does need to be updated for new details related to MLS 3.3.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”