Discontinuing a unit

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
idjeeper2

Discontinuing a unit

Post by idjeeper2 »

Somewhere on this forum, I think I saw a thread about disestablishing a unit but I can't find it now. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Basically I'd like to know what things need to be done when a unit goes away. My stake clerk has been helping out some but neither of us have done this before. I believe the membership records will be pulled by the new unit so I'm not too worried about that. I'm not sure how to close out the finances, what to do with records, what to do with supplies and manuals, etc.

Also, if all members are gone, will I be able to print the tax statements? Or do I need to do that before they get pulled? Can those be printed before January 1st?

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:Somewhere on this forum, I think I saw a thread about disestablishing a unit but I can't find it now. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Basically I'd like to know what things need to be done when a unit goes away. My stake clerk has been helping out some but neither of us have done this before. I believe the membership records will be pulled by the new unit so I'm not too worried about that. I'm not sure how to close out the finances, what to do with records, what to do with supplies and manuals, etc.

Also, if all members are gone, will I be able to print the tax statements? Or do I need to do that before they get pulled? Can those be printed before January 1st?
I believe that most of your questions are answered on the detailed checklist on the wiki at Discontinuing a ward or branch. The only questions you asked that I don't see answered there regard supplies and manuals; that seems to me a reasonable decision to be made at the local level (stake president and bishops involved).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Alan_Brown wrote:I believe all your questions are answered on the detailed checklist on the wiki at Discontinuing a ward or branch.
Should have known (beats head against wall). :D

The wiki isn't loading for me now but I'll check it later tonight.

Thanks.
danpass

Post by danpass »

idjeeper wrote:I believe the membership records will be pulled by the new unit so I'm not too worried about that.
While it's possible to have the new unit(s) pull the records, this method will require that the clerk of the new unit manually re-enter addresses and phone numbers for each household, even though the household has not moved.

The best way to move the records, is to use the boundary realignment option in MLS (of the discontinued ward), to move the records that are going to each specific unit, all at once. This method will allow the addresses and phone numbers to remain with the records.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

danpass wrote:While it's possible to have the new unit(s) pull the records, this method will require that the clerk of the new unit manually re-enter addresses and phone numbers for each household, even though the household has not moved.

The best way to move the records, is to use the boundary realignment option in MLS (of the discontinued ward), to move the records that are going to each specific unit, all at once. This method will allow the addresses and phone numbers to remain with the records.
Does the realignment option allow for pulling all records from a unit by specifying the unit number? I honestly don't know how they will do this - looks like the new unit will combine two branches from different stakes plus a portion of a ward from a third stake. Then add in people who live in the new boundary but were going to a university ward in a university stake. Should be a fun time for the clerks! I know the Church has done this in other regions, so they know how.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:Does the realignment option allow for pulling all records from a unit by specifying the unit number?
Yes. This is all explained in the wiki at Move households to another ward after a boundary realignment.
idjeeper wrote:I honestly don't know how they will do this - looks like the new unit will combine two branches from different stakes plus a portion of a ward from a third stake. Then add in people who live in the new boundary but were going to a university ward in a university stake. Should be a fun time for the clerks! I know the Church has done this in other regions, so they know how.
Each ward that is moving members out to another ward can follow the exact same steps. As long as it is clearly identified which members are moving to which ward, it should be quite easy -- you just specify the new ward and stake, check off the households to move, and they will all be moved on the next Send/Receive.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
danpass

Post by danpass »

idjeeper wrote:Does the realignment option allow for pulling all records from a unit by specifying the unit number?
Use of boundary realignment to move records can only be performed in the MLS instance that is currently home to the record(s) to be moved. The wording of your question suggests to me that you expect the realignment activity to be performed by the clerk of the receiving unit.

So, as Alan says, in each unit that is being discontinued as well as any unit that will be moving records to the new unit, the clerk should go to Boundary Realignment under Membership in MLS. There, he will enter the unit information of the new unit that is to receive the records and then add check marks for each household that is to be moved.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Item #14 hints at it, but the stake clerk may want to place that ward's MLS data on the stake computer to complete any "clean up".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Okay, I think I get it. Actually, it sounds like I have more control on exactly when the move takes place. Not that I want to hold things up, but the records won't disappear overnight if I'm still trying to tie up the loose ends for tithing settlement, etc.

The Wiki still won't open for me. Might be getting blocked, but I will get to that as soon as I can.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

idjeeper wrote:The Wiki still won't open for me. Might be getting blocked, but I will get to that as soon as I can.
The Wiki runs in https, not http. Something blocking secure?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”