Deleting/Removing an LDS Account Login?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
ckmcdonald

Deleting/Removing an LDS Account Login?

Post by ckmcdonald »

How does one go about completely removing an LDS Account login as if it was never created in the first place?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:How does one go about completely removing an LDS Account login as if it was never created in the first place?
The first question I have is why anyone would want to delete the account. It's a useful thing for all sorts of purposes. I can't imagine why any person would not want an account. Even if they have no plans to use it, what harm does it do?

If the underlying problem is that there is something wrong with the account, then that's another question entirely. A person can change most things about the account simply by logging in at http://ldsaccount.lds.org and making the changes.

But in any case, if there are things that cannot be changed by logging in, or if you really do want to delete your account, the only avenue I know of is to contact LDS Account Support at https://ldsaccount.lds.org/sign-in/go/contact.jsf
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

Odd request I agree, and I concur with your comments concerning my personal account. But, here's the story....

I'm occasionally asking to provide written instructions to members of the ward on how to create an LDS Account. Last time it was in my capacity as a FHC. Over time, I have noted that many members need really simple instructions. I have found that doing a step by step screen-shot of the account creation process works well.

Most recently I was asked to create instructions for the YW, now that YW Personal Progress is online. However, the process of creating a log in changes over time so I find myself recreating/updating my instructions. You're probably guessing where I'm heading here....

So in the past I have used my under aged children as examples when creating a new account. I'm out of children.:) Rather than having more children I thought it would be easier to find a way to remove my younger children (who don't need accounts) or use an inactive person of the right age (need to do the under 13 parental permission thing) and just remove the account when finished.

Or..... think of a better way altogether of getting these very useful screen shots. In reality it's just the steps after "Create the account" button I can't screen capture without really creating an account. Presently I don't know what happens after this point. I believe there is an email confirmation but I'd really like to see and screen-capture it.

I could create a real account for a YW in the ward but that requires a gathering at my computer with a 12 year-old and a parent, with the MRNs - doable but a little inconvenient compared to a possible way to just remove a test account creation.

Ideas welcome.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

Just a side thought, what happens to a members account if their name is removed from the records of the church? Seems this might be a case where an account would need to be removed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

So the issue is not really deleting an account but having detailed instructions on how to create an account with accompanying screenshots and then having that information up to date.

I doubt that your attempts at a work-around through an account deletion is going to be doable. Have you asked the LDS Account people to provide you what you need? It's worth trying.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ckmcdonald wrote:I could create a real account for a YW in the ward but that requires a gathering at my computer with a 12 year-old and a parent, with the MRNs - doable but a little inconvenient compared to
You can try the other suggestions, but my personal opinion is that you're likely to find your own suggestion is the quickest route to getting what you want.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
elderlarryhawkes-p40

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

From what I have experienced with most people is that if they can't open a web site on there own that you proved the link to such as https://ldsaccount.lds.org/sign-in/go/m ... ipInfo.jsf for creating an LDS account, and follow the on screen instructions that are already there, it's not likely they are going to ever use the church websites without first learning more about computers in general. I find if people need additional help, I have to do it in person to teach them how to really get the hang of some things because it takes different teaching approaches in many cases.;)
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

No, I haven't asked the LDS Account people yet. I did a quick search of the forum here to see if the question had been asked before. Didn't see anything so I posted a quick question here in hopes there was a quick, simple answer.

When registering a 12 year-old part of the message to the parent says:

"Any parent or guardian who consented to the child registering for an LDS Account may later revoke that consent and ask that the child's account be removed by contacting LDS Account Support at the following site"

I suspect that any account can be removed the same way (contacting them). But I'm only interested in this approach if I can remove it cleanly myself - don't want to trouble them for a trivial matter.

I also relate to the early comments about someone not being capable to use what's behind the account creation if they can't create the account. The problem I found with this, after being asked to help, is it's a bit hard to tell a group of YW, who leadership is trying to motivate, if they can't get logged in by themselves they probably can't run the online Personal Progress site either. :(

I'm just trying to do my part to get them enabled. The other factor is my wife is the YW Pres! ;)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

However you solve your problem, it would be nice to hear your solution. If you find another method to get the screenshots for your lesson, others here could benefit.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
elderlarryhawkes-p40

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

ckmcdonald wrote: I'm just trying to do my part to get them enabled. The other factor is my wife is the YW Pres!

:D Now we understand the root of the problem. Thanks for putting a big grin on my face. Oh how I fully understand.:D
You are actually fulfilling, very well, the question "Can you support your wife in this calling". I'm sure, if the calling was made correctly, you remember that part very distinctly.;)

Anyway, I can tell your a great support and commend you for your efforts.

I checked with my membership number, as you probably did too, to see what happens if you attempt to create an LDS account as if you didn't already have one. This is what I got.
Error: A user already exists with the Membership Record Number provided. Proceed to the login page by clicking here.
Well, keep searching and using the inspiration you receive in creating these instructions for creating an account and you will find a practical efficient method.:)

Return to “Church Account”