How do YOU post Teachings For Our Time Lessons?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
gregwanderson

How do YOU post Teachings For Our Time Lessons?

Post by gregwanderson »

Because the Stake posts the Priesthood/Relief Society lesson schedule and, at least in our case, the Ward selects the Teachings For Our Time lessons, the normal lesson schedule on our web site can't show the specific lesson. So I add the lesson as a "News and Information" posting with an attached PDF of the specific General Conference Talk for that month. I would rather be able to attach a hyperlink to the General Conference page for that talk but this doesn't appear to be available in the "News and Information" section.

I understand that some people put these under "Additional Web Resources" but I worry that it's too far down on the page to be noticed. In any case, I can only think of awkward ways to post the Teachings For Our Times lessons on the ward web site.

So, how do YOU do it? And will this be easier to do when the Ward Web Site design is eventually changed?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

GregAnderson wrote:Because the Stake posts the Priesthood/Relief Society lesson schedule and, at least in our case, the Ward selects the Teachings For Our Time lessons, the normal lesson schedule on our web site can't show the specific lesson. . . .

So, how do YOU do it?

We do not post them. This is one of those areas where the site does not support the need, and we have chosen not to expend the effort to work around it.

I will follow this thread closely, however, in case someone is using a very simple method to post the lessons. I am Ok with simple workarounds. Just not ones as complex as those needed in this case, at least as far as I am aware.

The downside, of course, is that we had at least two different lessons taught Sunday. I didn't check on the 3rd group. [grin]
rootbeericecream

Post by rootbeericecream »

We don't post either, just the text "Teachings for our Times" (4th Sunday), and "MP/RS Leadership Lesson" (for 1st Sunday)
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

From the most recent "General Conference Issue" of the Ensign/Liahona...
Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society lessons on fourth Sundays will be devoted to “Teachings for Our Time.” Each lesson can be prepared from one or more talks given in the most recent general conference. Stake and district presidents may choose which talks should be used, or they may assign this responsibility to bishops and branch presidents. Leaders should stress the value of Melchizedek Priesthood brethren and Relief Society sisters studying the same talks on the same Sundays.

(Emphasis Added)

So I'm trying to do my part to ensure that everyone knows which lesson should be taught. I'm not trying to point fingers, but it seems we're not allowed to take it lightly when the lessons aren't coordinated. So how can we use the web site to help the coordination?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

GregAnderson wrote:I'm trying to do my part to ensure that everyone knows which lesson should be taught. I'm not trying to point fingers, but it seems we're not allowed to take it lightly when the lessons aren't coordinated. So how can we use the web site to help the coordination?

I agree that it should not be taken lightly. I am simply saying that I am still looking for a simple way to update the web site with the information.

I believe that more stakes have delegated the assignment of the 4th Sunday lesson than is generally believed. I think the site ought to be designed to account for that whether or not it is a large number. The site, as presently designed, does not support the current curriculum instruction policy.

Nevertheless, my wife and I were not able to discuss "the" lesson taught this past Sunday. (We discussed them both.)

In fairness, we do what rootbeericecream does and simply mention at the site that the 4th Sunday is the talk selected by the bishop from the most recent general conference. And generally, our bishops do a good job of keeping their ward leaders informed. This is the first time in quite a while that there was a deviation.
danpass

Post by danpass »

GregAnderson wrote:Because the Stake posts the Priesthood/Relief Society lesson schedule and, at least in our case, the Ward selects the Teachings For Our Time lessons, the normal lesson schedule on our web site can't show the specific lesson...

So, how do YOU do it?
We don't post either.

Most of our quorum members have supplied their e-mail address to one of our quorum committee members. He has a weekly assignment to send an email to the group members. The e-mail indicates who the instructor will be for the upcoming lesson and includes the lesson title which is hyperlink-ed to the corresponding chapter in the lesson manual or to a conference talk (for TFOT).

This has been working well for us and I believe better than if we were able to post at the ward level and relied only on that means of communication.
craiger

Post by craiger »

GregAnderson wrote: So, how do YOU do it?
We also use the news section and an attached pdf. But the attached pdf contains the schedule for the next 6 months worth of lessons with embedded links. We try to make it a nicely printable format for those who like hard copy as well.

We pass out the hard copies in the quorums/classes too.

That's the best way we could figure out how to do it.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

craig wrote:We also use the news section and an attached pdf. But the attached pdf contains the schedule for the next 6 months worth of lessons with embedded links. We try to make it a nicely printable format for those who like hard copy as well.

We pass out the hard copies in the quorums/classes too.

That's the best way we could figure out how to do it.
The present system is less than ideal, and I hope with the changes to New.lds.org the lesson schedules are better...

We do as CRAIG does. Putting a PDF with click-able links in the "news and information" has a second bonus. Once you put it there, and navigate to it, then you can copy and paste the URL displayed in your URL address line into any email and when the recipient clicks THAT link, it takes them right to the document in your News and Info page (without having to log in.) I've sent that link many times to people who ask me where the TFOT lessons listed. (While I could just send them the info, we are trying to encourage the "Paradigm Shift" that this information is available online...)

You'll have to research and insert your links into your document, then export it as PDF. Use PDF, as using any other file format may add a step or limit the people who can use it. I use Openoffice to make my PDF's, its free. Note: I have not checked the links since the move to new.lds.org - some may not work.

I've attached a copy of the old PDF we've used below. When you pull the pdf you can click the link to go right to the talks. I didn't think many people accessed it until I was late posting it this last time and I got an email asking where the "new list" was.

Other steps we use, or plan to try this year:
1) We post the PDF in the "news and information"
2) We send the email link to the document (as described above) to organization leaders monthly, so I don't get the "which lesson is this month" calls.
3) We've contemplated putting the PR/RS lesson schedule (including TFOT) in Sacrament bulletin
4) We've contemplated putting it on the new ward calendar each month

If you have questions on how to make a PDF of your file, or how to include links, let me know.
Attachments
Teachings for our times 2010.pdf
(89.51 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

lajackson wrote: The downside, of course, is that we had at least two different lessons taught Sunday. I didn't check on the 3rd group. [grin]
Of course, this can happen even when all groups know exactly what lessons the bishopric has directed on TFOT lessons. <more grins>
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I understand that some people put these under "Additional Web Resources" but I worry that it's too far down on the page to be noticed. In any case, I can only think of awkward ways to post the Teachings For Our Times lessons on the ward web site.

So, how do YOU do it? And will this be easier to do when the Ward Web Site design is eventually changed?
I post it each month as a link under Additional Web Resources. Works great and they don't have to sign in to open the link.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”