tools menu on new.lds.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
aclawson

tools menu on new.lds.org

Post by aclawson »

One minor inconvenience - using the site on a laptop with a wide aspect has the tools menu appearing but extending below the bottom of the screen so it isn't easy to click the menu items at the bottom of the tools menu.

When you aren't logged in the tools menu goes to the bottom of the screen and then has a "more" as the last option to see the rest of the menu but this doesn't happen when logged in.

Personally I would prefer the option to turn off those large graphics and turn off the descriptive text.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:One minor inconvenience - using the site on a laptop with a wide aspect has the tools menu appearing but extending below the bottom of the screen so it isn't easy to click the menu items at the bottom of the tools menu.

When you aren't logged in the tools menu goes to the bottom of the screen and then has a "more" as the last option to see the rest of the menu but this doesn't happen when logged in.

Personally I would prefer the option to turn off those large graphics and turn off the descriptive text.
I agree. A menu should make it easy to make your selection, and having to scroll the whole window is not easy. I understand that for new users the descriptive text can be very helpful, but it just becomes a bother later on.

Also, on a desktop computer, I will always have a wheel mouse, and a quick flick of the wheel scrolls me down through the menu. But on a laptop (which as you said will often have a screen that is not as tall), I generally don't have a wheel mouse because I'm using the touch pad. It would be nice if I didn't have to scroll just to operate the menu.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aclawson wrote:One minor inconvenience - using the site on a laptop with a wide aspect has the tools menu appearing but extending below the bottom of the screen so it isn't easy to click the menu items at the bottom of the tools menu.

I agree that the menu on a laptop is not very nice. I played with it and if you make it wider it works fine, so I have created a greasemonkey script that I use to make the menu wider. If you are on Firefox, then that may be an option.

Return to “Main Church Website”