Out of Unit Record

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark

Out of Unit Record

Post by zaneclark »

A few weeks ago, created a record for an out of unit member. Today I had a reason to check this name in the new directory.... He wasn't listed but he was in the My LDS Stake directory.... Anyone have any idea why this would happen?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:A few weeks ago, created a record for an out of unit member. Today I had a reason to check this name in the new directory.... He wasn't listed but he was in the My LDS Stake directory.... Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Could you please clarify what you mean by "the new directory"? Is that the directory on new.lds.org, and do you mean the ward directory there? Or a directory printed from MLS? Or something else?

Also, what do you mean by "My LDS Stake directory"? Is that some third-party app? If so, where does it get its data from?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:Could you please clarify what you mean by "the new directory"? Is that the directory on new.lds.org, and do you mean the ward directory there? Or a directory printed from MLS? Or something else?

Also, what do you mean by "My LDS Stake directory"? Is that some third-party app? If so, where does it get its data from?
I am referring to the online directories, the one on new.lds.org and the one on the current LUWS. My LDS Stake is a 3rd party app which pulls information from the LUWS.
I have done a little further checking and it seems that the names for out of unit records do show up in callings but NOT in the membership directory. I tested this by adding an out of unit member to the leadership directory even though his name does not appear in the general ward directory. I was able to do this. I'm not sure if any of this is significant, but it is interesting.
BTW, I am doing this checking and testing on an iPad 3000 miles away from my home computer and the ward MLS.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

You have created an out-of-unit record, but there is a second step. The person must also be added to your unit as a nonresident member. It seems like when I went through this, the Stake Clerk had to do it. Once they are a nonresident member, they will show up on the LUWS directory. Also note that when they log in to the LUWS, they will go to the unit they are serving in, not their home ward. For example, I'm serving in a YSA Branch, so when I log in, I am directed to that LUWS. For access to the home ward LUWS, my wife has her own login that goes there.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:I am referring to the online directories, the one on new.lds.org and the one on the current LUWS. My LDS Stake is a 3rd party app which pulls information from the LUWS.
I have done a little further checking and it seems that the names for out of unit records do show up in callings but NOT in the membership directory. I tested this by adding an out of unit member to the leadership directory even though his name does not appear in the general ward directory. I was able to do this. I'm not sure if any of this is significant, but it is interesting.
BTW, I am doing this checking and testing on an iPad 3000 miles away from my home computer and the ward MLS.
I'm a bit uncertain to which directories you are referring in your post. When you say the My LDS Stake pulls information from the LUWS are you referring to the classic LUWS? If that is so then this sounds as it has been in the past. The only thing I am uncertain about is whether the individual had been entered as a nonresident member in the classic LUWS and then listed in a leadership position for you to see them from a My LDS Stake scrape of the classic LUWS directories.

Your second paragraph appears to be referencing the new.lds.org member and leader directories. Is that correct? If so, then are you saying that a member entered into MLS as an out-of-unit member and then listed in a leader position in MLS only appears in the new.lds.org leader directories but not in the membership directory?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

idjeeper wrote:I'm serving in a YSA Branch, so when I log in, I am directed to that LUWS. For access to the home ward LUWS, my wife has her own login that goes there.
You probably already know this but for the benefit of others - you can still access your home ward's web site. All you need to do is select Stake Home on the left pane menu (or the stake name from the bread crumb path) and then select your home ward on the stake's home page.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

jdlessley wrote:You probably already know this but for the benefit of others - you can still access your home ward's web site. All you need to do is select Stake Home on the left pane menu (or the stake name from the bread crumb path) and then select your home ward on the stake's home page.
This is true. If I recall correctly though, I don't have access to the full functionality of the web site like she does. I haven't tried for a while so I don't remember exactly what was different. I'll have to research that and see. If so, I will document what the differences are.

Edit to add: I just tried both log-ins on the old LUWS and could see no differences other than my admin rights on the branch website. There might be differences if the nonresident member's home ward is in a different stake, but I have no way to test that.

Going to Tools > Directory on new.lds.org, everything is the same for us except:
- On the branch website I can upload and manipulate photos (probably because I am admin). That is not an option for me on the home ward website and not for my wife on either site.
- I can export households on both the branch and my home ward websites, but not any other ward in the stake. My wife can export households only on the home ward website.

This may not be an all-inclusive list. As the full LUWS moves to new.lds.org, there may be other differences that become apparent. And this obviously does not address the Clerk and Leader Resources options.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:This is true. If I recall correctly though, I don't have access to the full functionality of the web site like she does. I haven't tried for a while so I don't remember exactly what was different. I'll have to research that and see. If so, I will document what the differences are.
A non-resident member will still have full access to his home stake's local unit web site. The only difference is that when you are a non-resident member of another stake, you will be taken to that stake's site when you login. To get to your home stake's site you have to bookmark it, or navigate some other way (by searching for the stake/ward site) to get there. But once you are there, if you are signed in, you have all the capabilities of any other member of the stake.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”