Wrong donors name

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kevdavis-p40

Wrong donors name

Post by kevdavis-p40 »

While doing donor statements. I found we had given credit for a weekly donation to the wrong family member. I did the wrong thing and deleted this donation, and tried to give the donation to the right person.It will not let me make the correction now, without opening a new batch..I called Salt Lake but was never able to talk to anyone.. Any suggestions would be welcome. I've done this in the past, but I'm sure I didn't delete the original donation Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kevdavis wrote:While doing donor statements. I found we had given credit for a weekly donation to the wrong family member. I did the wrong thing and deleted this donation, and tried to give the donation to the right person.It will not let me make the correction now, without opening a new batch.
Things are a bit different now. As you noted, you can't add a new donation to a closed batch, but you can still fix the unintentional deletion of a donation.

If you go back into the batch, you'll see (on the Review step) that the original donation seems to still be there, with an adjustment line right below it which has values that cancel out the original donation.

But you can still edit the original donation. When you click on the donor's name, you'll see that it is a bunch of zero amounts. You can then restore the amounts to be what they were originally, and also change the donor name at the same time. When you save that correction, you'll see that there are now two adjustment lines. The second correction will have the correct donor's name listed; if you go back into the donation, you'll see the correct donor's name is there.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kevdavis-p40

Post by kevdavis-p40 »

Thanks, I went and made the needed correction. The info was just what I needed. Thanks again

Return to “Local Unit Finance”