Mysteriously Deleted Donation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

Mysteriously Deleted Donation

Post by mlh78 »

A clerk in my stake found several donations that had been adjusted, apparently from Headquarters, to zero. The entries do not list a user and the reason given is "unknown." My first thought was that these were returned checks, but they are not. My second thought was that all this fuss about donor names (which I have largely ignored) may have caused the donations to have been reassigned to a different donor name. This didn't happen. Any thoughts as to what is causing these phantom adjustments? It is particularly troublesome given that this is in the middle of tithing settlement.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

FYI, all of the donations at issue were made after the CUBS conversion.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote: My first thought was that these were returned checks, but they are not.
Nonetheless, it is plausible that CHQ somehow erroneously treated these donations as returned checks. One of the changes that came with CUBS is a new mechanism for handling returned checks. Previously, financial clerks manually canceled the donation associated with a returned check, but under CUBS, the cancelation will happen automatically.
mlh78 wrote: My second thought was that all this fuss about donor names (which I have largely ignored) may have caused the donations to have been reassigned to a different donor name. This didn't happen.
I really doubt that this has anything to do with it. There are no reports that the linkage of donations to donor records have been affected in any way, nor that the linkage of donor records to member records is a problem, either. The only change is the name associated with the donor record, which couldn't cause the problems you're seeing.

This looks like one you'll need to ask Local Unit Support about. They still have extended hours tonight :D.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:One of the changes that came with CUBS is a new mechanism for handling returned checks.
How are returned checks handled? Is the clerk informed?

I checked the Wiki under Returned Check, but I think that's Pre-CUBS information.

I wonder if the cancellation really was erroneous.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:How are returned checks handled? Is the clerk informed?
According to the wiki at Returned donor checks, the donor is informed. There is no mention that the clerk is informed -- the cancelation is simply downloaded to MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”