Calendar Setup Wizard

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
maybd

Calendar Setup Wizard

Post by maybd »

Today I stumbled upon the Calendar Setup Wizard on new.lds.org, the tool designed to port the current calendar events to the new calendar.

There are two things that I would mention and I hope they will be addressed before everyone else takes on the process.

1. It would be great if you could limit the events to port to those that will occur in the future, or at least allow the user to select some date limiters. This would eliminate 75% of the listing, those which don't seem too important to have on our calendar at this point.

2. When I went into the calendar itself and started to review my events, they all seemed to be 2 hours later than originally scheduled. I'm not sure if that is because our stake is on the east coast (2 hours ahead of UT time) or if it is a general glitch. Ultimately though, I think I'll need to delete the imported calendars and start anew when (hopefully) more of the bugs are worked out.

Thanks!
benjamincarleski

Post by benjamincarleski »

I found the same wizard, and found it very unusable. It appears that whoever was maintaining our calendar added multiple recurring items with the same name. Since the wizard just shows the name, I have no way of knowing which ones are active or not, and so which ones need to be imported or not. It would be nice if there could be a brief summary of the schedule of the event so that you could identify it in the old system and then know whether or not it needed to be brought into the new system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

benjamincarleski wrote:It appears that whoever was maintaining our calendar added multiple recurring items with the same name.
You mean they entered things like PEC one year at a time? In that case, if the wizard didn't show anything that didn't have a future date, wouldn't that fix the problem? I'd assume you need to bring over everything that is in the future. Otherwise, I'd say you need to clean up your existing calendar first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
apsmith

Bugs I've found in the calendar import

Post by apsmith »

I also noticed the times of all events are 2 hours later on the new calendar than they were on the old calendar. I assume there's a time zone issue between the old and new (it should assume the same time zone - US Eastern for us!)

Other problems:
* repeating events with a biweekly schedule became weekly events in the new calendar (twice as many)
* there doesn't seem to be a way to designate stake events to particular unit calendars as well - for example we generally put ward conferences on the stake calendar with a checkbox to show on that particular ward's calendar, but not on the others. I don't see a way to do this with the new calendar.
* there wasn't a way to import repeating events (like Stake PEC meetings) into the private stake PEC calendar - only the public calendars were available for import.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

apsmith wrote:there wasn't a way to import repeating events (like Stake PEC meetings) into the private stake PEC calendar - only the public calendars were available for import.
I was able to import to a private stake calendar with no problem. Were you subscribed to the private calendar? Are you an editor? I have no time to check it out right now, but I am both subscribed and an editor for the private calendar I imported to.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”