New.lds.org Search Indexes

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
todrobbins

New.lds.org Search Indexes

Post by todrobbins »

Are there plans to create author index files on LDS.org? For instance, the ability to select an author and see what articles/talks s/he have given (and published) in Church materials would be terrific.

(I.e. http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/authors/?viewall)

Perhaps those could be arranged by date, etc.? I guess making a relational database of articles to authors, both general authorities and lay members, that could be browsed as well as search. Something similar to:

https://new.lds.org/church/leader/thoma ... n?lang=eng

At the bottom of the bio, but an additional link to "All articles/talks by Thomas S. Monson". I suppose it's a matter of metadata. I'd be interested in helping with a project of interlinking the data though.

Just a thought.
todrobbins

Post by todrobbins »

Did I not explain myself very well? Just curious.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think you explained it well. I don't know as the folks who could answer your question hang out here that much.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

todd.d.robbins wrote:Are there plans to create author index files on LDS.org? For instance, the ability to select an author and see what articles/talks s/he have given (and published) in Church materials would be terrific.

In the Advanced Search function of Gospel Library at lds.org you can search by author. While it is not exactly what you seek, I suppose of you keyed in the author and no other keywords and did the search, you would get a list of articles by just that author.
ShellineSE

Post by ShellineSE »

Hi, I'm the product manager for search on new.LDS.org. There are no plans to create a comprehensive list of talks by author, but I do like this idea and will add it to my backlog of feature requests as well as suggest it to the content managers. Fortunately, the issue is not one of markup, but of priority--the backlog is pretty long.
todrobbins

Post by todrobbins »

Thanks all.

shellinese,

I hear you. I guess I'm thinking similar name files exist for other projects, like the Joseph Smith Papers, and would only help the comprehensive nature of LDS content. Cheers!

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”