Font rendering problems in firefox on new.lds.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
darcher-p40

Font rendering problems in firefox on new.lds.org

Post by darcher-p40 »

When I go to the new.lds.org page in firefox (or the recently posted worldwide leadership training page), the font for the title text (eg "Worldwide Leadership Traning Novermber 2010") as rendered in Firefox 3.6.8 (default settings) on a Windows XP machine looks pretty bad. It looks much better in IE. I've attached screenshots of both. I'm not exactly sure what is causing the difference, but I would suggest using a font that is browser agnostic, not one that looks pretty in IE and ugly in other browsers.

I know I'm not the only one using Firefox on here, has anyone else seen this problem?
Attachments
FF WW training page snapshot.jpg
(65.8 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
IE WW training page snapshot.jpg
(76.5 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

darcher wrote:I know I'm not the only one using Firefox on here, has anyone else seen this problem?
I see no problem at all. I'm using FF 3.6.12 on Windows 7 and IE 8. On the images I attached, FF and IE are virtually indistinguishable, except that FF looks a bit better on the button on the right.
Attachments
FF WWLT.jpg
(81.17 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
IE WWLT.jpg
(88.17 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Firefox 3.6.12 was released probably within two days of the event, so the programmers may hot have had a chance to review their work using it, or if they did they might not have noticed any issues.

Looking at the screenshots I'm seeing no major problems, slightly different rendering of the small text below 'Worldwide Leadership Training'. I've got 3.6.12 and have seen nothing of this type of problem, and yes MSIE 8 in XP is working very well with the same pages.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

darcher wrote:. . . the font for the title text (eg "Worldwide Leadership Traning Novermber 2010") as rendered in Firefox 3.6.8 (default settings) on a Windows XP machine looks pretty bad. It looks much better in IE.
Your screen shot of the FF browser seems to show that the text is not clear and precise as it is in IE. I do not have this problem with FF (3.6.12). Perhaps I am using different browser settings, but I do not recall changing anything from the default.

Both browsers (IE 7 and FF 3.6.12) display the text with the same clarity for me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was about to complain that it looked ugly in IE8 when I remembered I was using Terminal Service to get into the machine that has my web browser. :o

It appears that it's a font that looks ugly quickly if the pixels don't map perfectly. You might want to make sure that your page size is set to 100%, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
darcher-p40

I think it's a firefox in Win XP problem

Post by darcher-p40 »

So I checked the webpages on my home computer which had Firefox 3.6.12 and Windows 7 and the font looked fine. When I came in to work this morning, I updated Firefox to 3.6.12 and checked again and it still looks bad. And I checked that I'm not zoomed in or out and all other settings are the default settings. So it appears that this is some kind of problem with Firefox on Windows XP. Can anyone check this using that combination?

edit: also, the jpegs I attached in the OP actually make the font look a little better than it does on my screen because of the way it compresses things. The font looks really jagged on my monitors. It's like a Pirates of the Carribean, trying to look old and decrepit font :). Which I'm sure was not the original intent!

edit2: just installed Chrome and it looks the same as Firefox--really jagged text.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I use FF w/win XP and I've not noticed any problems. The screens are sharp and clear. Same thing with FF and Win 2000 Pro (an older system at work) - no problems.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
darcher-p40

Post by darcher-p40 »

And you don't see any difference between the font as rendered in FF/Chrome vs IE8?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

darcher wrote:And you don't see any difference between the font as rendered in FF/Chrome vs IE8?
I will do another comparison when I get home this evening. However, I was on the site last night and FF is my primary browser and I've not noticed any problems.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

darcher wrote:And you don't see any difference between the font as rendered in FF/Chrome vs IE8?
Have you checked your ClearType settings? Those are available on Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Effects, if I remember right. Make sure you are using ClearType to smooth edges of screen fonts.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Main Church Website”