Why not synch callings in MLS and Ward website?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
atom88-p40

Why not synch callings in MLS and Ward website?

Post by atom88-p40 »

I realize that the ward "website" only reports "membership record" type of information. However, since the ward website is already storing callings and so is the MLS Windows version, why not GET THE TWO PROGRAMS TO SYNC up?

A simple "Synching" process would be very easy to implement (most PDAs have written such code (like Palm)), for over 20 years now. You would think the idea of synching callings between the website and MLS windows would be a top priority?

Having to re-enter the 100+ callings in a 700 member ward TWICE (on website and MLS) just isn't practical and makes the website less useful.

Any idea if this is going to make the MLS feature priority list?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atom88 wrote:I realize that the ward "website" only reports "membership record" type of information. However, since the ward website is already storing callings and so is the MLS Windows version, why not GET THE TWO PROGRAMS TO SYNC up?

A simple "Synching" process would be very easy to implement (most PDAs have written such code (like Palm)), for over 20 years now. You would think the idea of synching callings between the website and MLS windows would be a top priority?

Having to re-enter the 100+ callings in a 700 member ward TWICE (on website and MLS) just isn't practical and makes the website less useful.

Any idea if this is going to make the MLS feature priority list?
I'm sure that this will never be implemented in the current stake/ward websites (LUWS). I can say that confidently, because LUWS has only about a year more to live. It will be phased out in favor of its replacement, which already exists.

The new Directory application on new.lds.org/directory already synchronizes callings. That's available right now. Your stake could tell its members to ignore the directory and leadership portion of LUWS right now and go to new.lds.org for that information. Or you can maintain LUWS for another year. It's a local decision.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote: Your stake could tell its members to ignore the directory and leadership portion of LUWS right now and go to new.lds.org for that information. Or you can maintain LUWS for another year. It's a local decision.
In fact what I did for our ward was to delete all the callings from LUWS and add a custom one that says to look at new.lds.org directory for the up to date list.
thedunsons

not all is well with new directory

Post by thedunsons »

I would caution that you thoroughly inspect the new directory before doing this. Ours still lists multiple members in the same calling. An obvious example is our counselors for the Bishop, both old and new are showing. This change occured about 18 months ago. MLS and the current LUWS have been maintained with current info all along.

Question: Now that new.lds.org is no longer in BETA, should I submit a bug report? And who would I send it to? Thanks.
-mike
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

relaxmosphere wrote:I would caution that you thoroughly inspect the new directory before doing this. Ours still lists multiple members in the same calling. An obvious example is our counselors for the Bishop, both old and new are showing. This change occured about 18 months ago. MLS and the current LUWS have been maintained with current info all along.

Question: Now that new.lds.org is no longer in BETA, should I submit a bug report? And who would I send it to? Thanks.
That was the result of an older bug that has since been fixed. To get your data fixed submit feedback in CDOL after you get into the feedback the second page will let you choose Information Updates or Corrections. You can send them which ones should be deleted.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”