How to record satellite broadcasts in this digital world?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
DeeGardiner

How to record satellite broadcasts in this digital world?

Post by DeeGardiner »

Our stake presidency has asked me to replace our old VHS VCR with a DVD recorder so we can record church satellite broadcasts directly to DVD. A few years ago this would have been fairly straight forward, but in today's all digital world I am not sure there is a good solution available at a reasonable price. I need something with an old fashioned analog tuner, and a DVR with a hard drive would be nice (like the old Philips DVDR3575/76 units).

Does anyone have a reasonable solution in today's market?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DeeGardiner wrote:I need something with an old fashioned analog tuner, and a DVR with a hard drive would be nice (like the old Philips DVDR3575/76 units).
They are a little harder to find since most stores want to carry Blu-Ray players, but they can still be found. I haven't seen any "digital tuners" that CAN'T also tune Analog. So what you're looking for is a DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner. They still exist. I don't think anyone makes them with a built-in hard drive anymore.

You might also talk to the FM group. That's how we got ours. But since our VCR was hardwired in, we ended up with a non-tuner Panasonic. So far, it seems to have performed well. Panasonic does have similar models that do have tuners if that's what you need.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

There are extremely few broadcasts that are not subsequently available on broadcast.lds.org. These can be downloaded and burned directly to a DVD on a computer. It is hardly necessary any longer to tape or record directly from the live broadcast. If they are not available at broadcast.lds.org, then it is probably proper that they not be recorded at all.

Additionally, I have downloaded many broadcasts & Church videos and copied them to my video capable iPod. I then play those movies by plugging my iPod directly into a TV with an iPod capable video capable. Apple sells one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128 ... TcxMTMwODU

but I have seen less expensive ones too.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

macsense wrote:There are extremely few broadcasts that are not subsequently available on broadcast.lds.org. These can be downloaded and burned directly to a DVD on a computer.
It could be done, but what is the quality? It's bad enough we're still running Standard Definition, but if you're projecting on a big screen, I have to wonder about the quality of the download.

And how much delay is there before it's posted? Many broadcasts I only delay a few hours. Maybe as much as a day.
macsense wrote:If they are not available at broadcast.lds.org, then it is probably proper that they not be recorded at all.
I disagree. The training meeting just concluded is one example.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Wwlt

Post by drepouille »

Here is the archived broadcast of the WWLT:

http://new.lds.org/training/worldwide-l ... p?lang=eng

I also recorded it to DVD using our new Samsung DVD/VHS recorder.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

DeeGardiner wrote:I need something with an old fashioned analog tuner, and a DVR with a hard drive would be nice (like the old Philips DVDR3575/76 units).

Does anyone have a reasonable solution in today's market?
Use your favorite search engine to look for Magnavox MDR513. It has a digital tuner with a 260GB HDD. I recorded the WWLT to the HDD and dubbed it to a DVD. It is Standard Definition so about the same quality as a VHS tape. I didn't find the unit locally, but it is available from several on-line sources.
JLR
DeeGardiner

Post by DeeGardiner »

Thanks for all of the fast feedback. I agree that the need for recording is diminishing over time, and I was pleasantly surprised that the church posted the WWL training on-line (as well as handbook 2), but the stake presidency has been wanting this capability for some time - so I just ordered the Magnavox MDR-513. Thanks for the tip on that unit. Hopefully it will meet our needs nicely. :)
ThomsonMA

Sony DVD Writer

Post by ThomsonMA »

We use an earlier version of the Sony DVDirect CD burner.

See http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VRDMC6-DVDir ... 208&sr=8-1

This device takes a input from any of a number of sources and burns it onto a DVD. For satellite broadcasts, rather than go through a tuner we take the feed directly from the back of the satellite receiver through a composite A/V cable (the kind with yellow, red and white RCA connectors on both ends). That's what plugs into this unit. We use a similar method to record our Stake Conference Broadcasts, by splitting out the A/V signal just before it goes into the Meetinghouse Webcaster.

We generally record two disks simultaneously with two of the units connected through an AV distribution amplifier.

It's very easy to use and we're pleased with the results.
starkjs
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by starkjs »

You may want to also try an inexpensive Western Digital media player. Using this method, one would download the content from LDS.org and then view them by plugging a USB drive into the device. The device can be connected to a projector, TV, or A/V system for playback. An additional upside to this is that the files are higher quality than what is transmitted over the satellie. Here's additional information: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Viewing_Churc ... USB_drives
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

starkjs wrote:An additional upside to this is that the files are higher quality than what is transmitted over the satellie.

I imagine that depends on which download you use. Can you indicate which ones are as good if not better then a satellite broadcast?

Return to “Satellite”