Calendar now has start times listed on outputs, but what time zone

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
pilling

Calendar now has start times listed on outputs, but what time zone

Post by pilling »

We were trying to get a printout for the stake meetings tonight, the 2011 Calendar for the new year. The New Calendar program site went down Nov 11th 2010, when it came back up it seemed to have done an update. Before the time was not listed on printouts, it is now there on the outputs.:D
One problem. the times listed are times of SLC time zone, not our Pacific time zone. some are out by one hour but others are out 2 hours, as daylight savings new and old times are in conflict.:eek:
Those in the Mountain time zone may not know of this output to printing or PDF problem :confused:?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

actmess wrote:One problem. the times listed are times of SLC time zone, not our Pacific time zone.
Church-wide events, local unit events or both?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pilling

Post by pilling »

RussellHltn wrote:Church-wide events, local unit events or both?
At first when I looked at it I thought it was only Local Unit events that the times were out. Upon looking for Church-wide events, they are not coming up at this time on the New Calendar. I can send you a pdf if that would help?
peteweston

Post by peteweston »

actmess wrote:We were trying to get a printout for the stake meetings tonight, the 2011 Calendar for the new year. The New Calendar program site went down Nov 11th 2010, when it came back up it seemed to have done an update. Before the time was not listed on printouts, it is now there on the outputs.:D
One problem. the times listed are times of SLC time zone, not our Pacific time zone. some are out by one hour but others are out 2 hours, as daylight savings new and old times are in conflict.:eek:
Those in the Mountain time zone may not know of this output to printing or PDF problem :confused:?
This whole time issue is becoming a bit frustrating!!

I spent 4 hours creating the 2011 Ward Calendar on Wednesday 10th, then on Thursday the calendar went down for Maintenance, after coming back online all the times were out by 1-2 hours (I'm based in the UK so our time difference to SL is much greater than your Pacific time zone). I then spent 3 hours on Thursday night correcting everything. This morning I've tried printing a few pages to share with the Bishop prior to Ward Council and both week and month views print with a 6-7 hour difference! I've sent in feedback but was wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions. I really can't face another night changing everything following more maintenance runs!!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

peteweston wrote:This whole time issue is becoming a bit frustrating!!
It's not just a time zone issue. I'm located in the Mountain time zone, but now when I look at my events, many of them have shifted by a full day. Several events that were on Wednesday are now on Tuesday. But FHE is still on Monday and other events seem to be on the correct days. I can't see a pattern as to which events have shifted.

It's possible that fixing dates and times on events could just create a new set of problems when the current problem is fixed, or it's possible that the old software created bad dates and times, and the software is now fixed, but it showed the bad data, so we should fix the dates and times now. I don't know how to know, unless someone with inside information analyzes the situation and communicates that to us.

Are others seeing time shifts for events with the latest update?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
peteweston

Post by peteweston »

Alan_Brown wrote:...or it's possible that the old software created bad dates and times, and the software is now fixed, but it showed the bad data, so we should fix the dates and times now.
I hope the above is the case as I've already spent 3 hours correcting everything and really don't want to do it all over again.

I realise that the advice in the FAQ is to keep using the old calendar system for 2011 and plan for a general role out of the new calendar in 2012 put we've been starved of this sort of technology in the UK and don't have access to an old system. Our Stake President is keen to use the new online resources and has already personal created a 2011 Stake Calendar using the new system. (I noticed that the Stake Calendar times weren't effected by the maintenance run which is odd). My Ward has followed suit by creating the 2011 Ward Calendar. Maybe we were a bit optimistic that the entries would remain safe.

Having looked for a pattern in a bit more detail today, I also noticed that some test events that I'd created back in February then deleted on Wednesday night to clear the Calendar, before entering the 2011 events reappeared after the maintenance run so the issues are much wider than a simple time shift.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

peteweston wrote:(I noticed that the Stake Calendar times weren't effected by the maintenance run which is odd).
However, the dates I mentioned had shifted for me were on our stake calendar. So that seems to add further confirmation that there is no obvious pattern as to which events changed and by how much, and which stayed the same.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tomjohnson1492-p40

Developers are working on it

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

I notified the dev team of this bug and they're investigating a solution. I'll try to keep you posted when it's fixed.
hirsp1

Time Zones are still an issue

Post by hirsp1 »

Our stake executive secretary used the wizard to import our old calendar to the new one. We're in the central time zone. The import went well but all calendar times are now for mountain time.

Is there a fix? Or do we need to recreate it all?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

peteweston wrote: ...
I realise that the advice in the FAQ is to keep using the old calendar system for 2011 and plan for a general role out of the new calendar in 2012...
That "advice" to stay with the old, much like the calendar, is changing often. It now "invites" you to use the new one, but you obviously have the option (where it exists!) to stay with the old (now called "classic".) It now reads:
Wards and stakes are now invited to begin using the new calendar. It will continue to mature through early 2011. The Classic Stake and Ward Web site calendar will be available through the end of 2011.
https://tech.lds.org/ldshelp/index.php5 ... lendar/eng

Return to “Calendar”