help! meetinghouse communicator software

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
stephen500

help! meetinghouse communicator software

Post by stephen500 »

On Sunday at home the meetinghouse communicator software worked fine.
I even did a test broadcast using still slides.
However when it came to the real event tonight I had problems.
Due to a hardware failure for the hardware meetinghouse communicator it had to go back.
So I took my windows 7 desktop which has the beta 3.0 version installed and attempted to connect it wirelessly.
When I started up the meetinghouse communicator software I got a message dialog box from windows that there was a problem with the programme and it would have to close and seek a solution.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.
After a reinstall i even got the message that it needed windows media encoder 9, which I had already installed.
Btw the message you get when you attempt to start the meetinghouse comm software beta 3.0 on start up "you need to install windows media encoder 9" click yes to install takes you to a defunct page.
However I had already installed encoder 9 and it still asked for it!
However again even when I had the programme installed normally windows still said there was a problem with the programme.
I wonder if it is because I attempted to connect using wireless?
I will try when I get home this morning (UK time) and if it works with the lan cable I will buy 50 metres of it and try it in the building.
Another thought is could it be the cisco firewall?
I even tried deleting the comm software of the registry, which I was a bit worried about, but that made no difference.
I think it is wrong that global services don't support official church software!
Worst of all I had two Area Seventies and a host of Stake presidents due to watch the broadcast.
I couldn't help the hardware failure, but the software failure nearly had me in tears!
Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

stephen500 wrote:So I took my windows 7 desktop which has the beta 3.0 version installed and attempted to connect it wirelessly.
When I started up the meetinghouse communicator software I got a message dialog box from windows that there was a problem with the programme and it would have to close and seek a solution.
This thread describes the solution to some of the problems you are having. There are a number of other threads in the Building-to-Building Communications Forum that may be of assistance to you.
starkjs
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by starkjs »

Greetings Stephen,

During a routine upgrade of our authorization server, we experiencing a momentary glitch, which may have affected your ability to log in to either the 2.0 or 3.0 software. 2.0 users experienced an error that closed their application, while 3.0 users were presented with a message that they had an invalid UN or PW. The issue has since been resolved. Please accept our apologies in this matter and let us know if you experience any additional issues with launching the software.

Thank you,
Jacob
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

spoken like a true IT person... experienced a momentary glitch :) starkjs... a service oriented staff refers to that as an Interruption of Service :)
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

starkjs wrote:Greetings Stephen,

During a routine upgrade of our authorization server, we experiencing a momentary glitch, which may have affected your ability to log in to either the 2.0 or 3.0 software. 2.0 users experienced an error that closed their application, while 3.0 users were presented with a message that they had an invalid UN or PW. The issue has since been resolved. Please accept our apologies in this matter and let us know if you experience any additional issues with launching the software.

Thank you,
Jacob
Dear Jacob, thanks for your prompt reply.
I have sent you an e-mail and would be grateful if you could contact me.
My problem for the benefit of the forum as far as sound issues go.
1) I have on the settings tab and the live input ("cog") set the audio default as line in. I plugged into the line in my ipod with general conf session on. The live input cog i used was the jvc camera one with the audio set to default to "line input" ie ipod.
Despite this and the sound bars showing the line input as working in the configure box and start webcast the sound output to broadcast is my jvc digicam and not the line input to which we want to attach a mixer too.
2) I tried also to run standard version 2.0 rather then beta 3.0.
But on installation I am presented with a message that i need encoder 9 or later. Despite the fact that I have already installed encoder 9, and have tested it to see it is running, from the installer at https://webcast.ldschurch.org/ClientDow ... lient.aspx
Btw when you get the message that you need encoder 9 and you click yes, it directs you to an error page as the link is no longer the valid.
So either the link needs correcting or taking out as the installation packager is already available via https://webcast.ldschurch.org/ClientDow ... lient.aspx
Please stop the dialog box asking for media encoder 9 and just instruct to install from the link above, where you can click below to install encoder 9

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ncoder.exe
It is really frustrating that the link produces an error page and that despite installing it from the above installer package on the 2.0 installer page that it will not work.
I have ordered 50 metres of lan cable today in the hope that we can solve this problem by Tues when we are due to broadcast to young marrieds over the UK and too stake presidents and area presidents.
I had to aplogize and explain that tech is never straightforward and appreciate that we won't always get it right.
I would be grateful if we could solve this by next tues so the broadcast can go ahead by the Area Seventy.
Btw we chose this software alternative as back up and the hardware communicator broke and is in for repair.
Many thanks for help in advance,
Bro Sinclair,
Chester England Stake.
Please call me at the phone number I gave you.
Thanks for all you do.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Windows 7.... 32 bit or 64 bit? If 64 bit then things could be difficult.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

64 bit....trying to find the download for windows media encoder 9 (64 bit) is hard enough.
It will get worse for the church as Microsoft have announced that over 50 % of windows 7 computers purchased are 64 bit ones.
So over half the new computers bought will be incompatible with version 2.0 of meetinghouse communicator software.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

I am almost at the stage where I will give up on the software.
I tried to sell the software to the stake pres, who is hooked on the hardware version, as a back up and it really is not selling itself.
Such a shame.
I have had help from church hq and they are trying to help but both the 2.0 version and beta 3.0 have problems.
Beta 3.0 cannot, despite showing in the sound bars seperate audio outputs, actually feed the audio input for streaming.
It gives the appearence of doing so, but does not.
I just get the sound of the camera mic, even though the audio defaults are set for line in.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

stephen500 wrote:64 bit....trying to find the download for windows media encoder 9 (64 bit) is hard enough.
It will get worse for the church as Microsoft have announced that over 50 % of windows 7 computers purchased are 64 bit ones.
So over half the new computers bought will be incompatible with version 2.0 of meetinghouse communicator software.
If you can find the WME 9 for 64 bit, it will work on Win 7. Or at least it does for me. I have meetinghouse communicator (2.1.01) and WME 9 x64 installed on my Win 7 Pro laptop. It has worked well for broadcasting a priesthood leadership session and for the testing that we have done.
I still have the WME installer if you cannot find an x64 version.

Aaron Z
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Windows 7 64 bit is not supported under WME 9. You should give up and look for other options. Fortunately, you have two.

1. Download and install Expression 4, which is the replacement for the discontinued WME 9. Please note that the free edition is limited to 10 minute sessions.

2. If your machine is running Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL then set up XP Mode (not compatibility mode) which runs a virtual copy of XP. You can install communicator and the old WME in there and it will work without difficulty.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”