User Profiles / Universal Login

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
rickybloomfield

User Profiles / Universal Login

Post by rickybloomfield »

I think this is something that should be implemented across all of the Lds.org sites, but it would be especially useful to have a login ID for Scriptures that would allow us to record reading progress, bookmarks, etc. It would then be possible to login to any computer to access this personalized information. I know there are other services that provide this, but the request still stands.

On that note, I think it is becoming more and more essential that Church internet users have one universal login ID that could be used on all of the Church websites (LDS.org, Units, FamilySearch, LDSTech, etc.). This would greatly simplify things and allow for a more cohesive experience overall (similar to Google's services). I did a quick search on the forums for something similar and didn't see anything. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before. Are there any plans for something along these lines?

Update: I found this thread (http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=289) that discusses this very issue. I hope it happens soon!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Ricky wrote:I think this is something that should be implemented across all of the Lds.org sites, but it would be especially useful to have a login ID for Scriptures that would allow us to record reading progress, bookmarks, etc. It would then be possible to login to any computer to access this personalized information. I know there are other services that provide this, but the request still stands.
As for the scripture study functionality, I am currently apart of an open source project hosted on SourceForge called Scripture Study Plus, and it can be found on [thread=113]this thread[/thread].
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Universal Login

Post by HaleDN »

(my 2cents)

Even though the infrastructure to support a universal login system is probably close to release, it will be some time before it is used across the various Church web apps. For some sites it may not be that difficult to swap out the existing security framework (if they happen to be compatible) but for others it will require significant rework. For example, with FamilySearch fairly close to releasing to the public (I think that they are still running some beta tests) I can't imagine that they would integrate this universal login... rather they would wait for a future release. But I'll bet that some smaller applications will start using it in the next few months.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

haledn wrote:(my 2cents)

Even though the infrastructure to support a universal login system is probably close to release, it will be some time before it is used across the various Church web apps. For some sites it may not be that difficult to swap out the existing security framework (if they happen to be compatible) but for others it will require significant rework. For example, with FamilySearch fairly close to releasing to the public (I think that they are still running some beta tests) I can't imagine that they would integrate this universal login... rather they would wait for a future release. But I'll bet that some smaller applications will start using it in the next few months.
This is correct. Apps will start coming online using the universal login soon.

Tom

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”