After CUBS, what is a "Cleared" check?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
RossEvans

After CUBS, what is a "Cleared" check?

Post by RossEvans »

I was under the impression that after we moved to CUBS, the "Cleared" status for a particular check would mean the check had actually been cleared by the bank after the recipient cashed or deposited it.

But this week I was investigating a check, written after the CUBS conversion, which shows a "Cleared" status in MLS. The check was written to a landlord on behalf of a fast-offering recipient. But they had not deposited the check yet. I saw it at the landlord's office.

So what does "Cleared" actually mean?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I know you will be shocked to learn this is a bug in the current system. The new terminology for outstanding checks is "unmatched". However, the system does not appear to recognize that status so outstanding checks show as cleared.

We had a similar issue with a member being evicted because the FO rent check was never cashed. However, it showed as cleared. I called LUS and was told by the analyst if the check showed a status of cleared it had been cashed. However, when I asked for a copy of the check to show the management company, he couldn't find it. It was only then that he was able to find it with a status of "unmatched" (outstanding). He did confirm that we should be seeing outstanding (not sure what the actual word will be, however) on MLS.

I assume this is one of the patches being worked on.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I sent an email off to find out more about his and was given the following reply:
[font=&quot]The status of ‘Cleared’ does not mean that it cleared the bank. A check in MLS goes from ‘Sent’ to ‘Cleared’ when the MLS system receives a confirmation from CUBS that the check was received (NOT THAT IT CLEARED THE BANK). I think that is confusing that MLS has a status of ‘Cleared’ for a status the means that it was received by CUBS. (This is an MLS issue, not CUBS. Any changes to what we see would have to be arranged by the MLS team).
[/font]
[font=&quot]
The monthly unit financial statement WILL show checks that cleared the bank and those that have not[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
This seems to indicate to me that outstanding checks will have to be handled the same way as before. We will only know at monthly increments which checks are still outstanding (unless MLS 3.2.4 changes something).
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Just another thought here. It's been suggested that clerks might not understand how to compare the statement with CUBS. Specifically, they will see outstanding checks on the CUFS that show a status of cleared in MLS. This could potentially lead to a lot of phone calls to LUS.

Personally, I say call away. That will bring attention to the inconsistency. However, just know that, at least for now, the meaning of "cleared" has changed to something that does not mean "cleared" at all.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”