question about charitable organization number

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jglanfield

question about charitable organization number

Post by jglanfield »

Hi,

We're setting up a charitable organization account with PayPal to accept payments for an upcoming conference. My understanding is that each unit has it's own charitable organization number. I'm in Canada, and so each unit has a number registered with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Does the Church have a charitable organization number for all of Canada? Or is it sufficient to provide my unit's number for this purpose?

Please advise.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd be cautious to make sure that the number's use will be consistent with Canadian tax law. It sounds like the funds are going to something the member receives. In the US, it would probably be exempt from sales tax, but would not be deductible from one's income tax.

I have no knowledge of Canadian tax law. What would be the effect of using the church's charitable organization number in this situation? Would that be consistent with how it would be handled through more traditional methods?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

You may want to read this thread and this related wiki page.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”