MLS backups post-CUBS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
crislapi

MLS backups post-CUBS

Post by crislapi »

The CUBS is live thread is getting long and diverse, so I thought I'd reference the pertinent posts and continue discussion here.
crislapi wrote:
slh531977 wrote:i just realized today that I never did the Backup of finance data yesterday. In the old world, we always got a prompt that "finance data has changed, please backup"). There was never a prompt to remind me. Is this a bug in CUBS or are we just supposed to remember all the time, or is it not as necessary anymore?
CUBS automatically backs up when you log off. It just does it quietly in the background instead of prompting you.
crislapi wrote:I may have to redact this. I know in the test session Alan_Brown and I (among others) attended, backing up was automated. Alan_Brown specifically asked and that's the answer he was given.

However, despite having been on my MLS the last 4 days now and doing significant work on the finances, I cannot find a backup anywhere (no new files were created with the extension *.bak anywhere on my computer, and the backup folder does not contain anything after the 17th). I'd be curious to hear others observations.
lajackson wrote:MLS has always made a backup each time a user exits. They are not .bak files, but they are available to the Assistant Stake Clerk for Technology when needed.

This does not preclude the fact that a unit ought to make a backup file of MLS (the .bak kind) each day MLS is changed. A backup of MLS will backup both the membership and the financial data, so a separate "financial" backup is neither possible nor necessary.

Most of our units find that one of the best times to make a backup is after the deposit is prepared and the Send/Receive is complete.
From what I've been told, backing up is an MLS feature and not something the CUBS team programmed/changed. That being said, backups as we know them must currently be done manually. Forced backups should be returning "soon".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder if the change to CUBS simply means that MLS no longer detects the changes in the finances - so no forced backups.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

I ran into this today. I was under the assumption that the backups were happening "behind the scenes". Not so.

After my Assistant Finance Clerk logged off, I logged on and got the message that there were urgent tasks. The urgent task was the standard blurb that MLS had not been backed up. This was not there earlier in the day, it only appeared after we had done the finance transmission.

So ... I looked at the backup files and sure enough, nothing since October 24 :eek:

Apparently MLS does detect that changes have been made, but does not prompt for a backup to be made nor does it do it automatically. And it appears that the urgent task notification might happen or might not.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”