Change the Patriarch's Address?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ckmcdonald

Change the Patriarch's Address?

Post by ckmcdonald »

When I create a new Patriarchal Blessing form in MLS it fills in the name, phone number and address of the Stake Patriarch. I need to change the address because somehow the address was initially entered incorrectly and it's a bit unfair to all the families running around trying to find his house with the wrong address.

The form will allow me to manually correct the address but I want the default address it fills in to be correct. How do I change it?
ecotim

Post by ecotim »

The change needs to be done on the stake level and pushed down to the wards. In my stake the Patriarch was changed, after telling the stake that we still had the old one in our system they fixed it and it was corrected in our MLS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ecotim wrote:The change needs to be done on the stake level and pushed down to the wards.

The stake gets the address from the membership record. I would suggest that you have the ward clerk where the patriarch lives check his membership record and make sure the address is recorded correctly. I suspect you will find the error there.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

Thank you for the tips. I'm getting closer - I was starting to suspect it was a stake maintenance item.

However, I still have a puzzle. I just looked at both the new and old online stake/ward directories and the address is correct there. If the address is coming directly from the Patriarch's ward records it should be correct as it is correct on the ward records as well as on the stake leadership listing.

I've contacted my stake clerk and asked him to look into it. Hopeful he'll figure it out.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ckmcdonald wrote:If the address is coming directly from the Patriarch's ward records it should be correct as it is correct on the ward records as well as on the stake leadership listing.

I've contacted my stake clerk and asked him to look into it. Hopeful he'll figure it out.

In this case, the stake probably just needs to resend the patriarch's information from the stake MLS computer.

Although I am still intrigued. I thought that once you entered information into the ward MLS for the patriarch, it stayed there until the ward updated it again. If you have corrected his address once, I would not think you would have to correct it again.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I might be missing something but when the form comes up the address is filled in with a default. Yes, I can change it but it doesn't change the default address for the next time we use the form.

I suspect that when the address was first entered it was incorrect. That got pushed out to the wards and then later it was corrected in the home ward but somehow the corrected address didn't get pushed out to the wards.

I have yet to check if other wards in the stake are having the same problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Playing with the test unit, it appears to me that MLS simply remembers. Unless the Patriarch is in the ward, I don't know as there is any linkage.

I think the intent was to be "last used", but there may be a bug in it. At first, I wasn't able to make a change stick. Even when I changed the name. But then I could. Possibly the key to "taking" is to print the recommend and then save it.

Failing that, you could link it to someone in the ward (that worked), and then changing it to an all manual entry making sure to print and then save (that also worked).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I created a test recommend, corrected the address, printed and saved the form. I exited MLS and restarted it and MLS remembered the corrected address. So yes, it does appear to remember the address from the time it was used before.

Now the mystery is understanding how it changed back to being incorrect when I corrected it several months ago on a real form that I printed and saved.

One guess is that someone opened a saved form that had the wrong address in it. I haven't messed with this yet to see if doing this affects the default address.

All is well - for now.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”