noise on line

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
stephen500

noise on line

Post by stephen500 »

On the phone line we have for the router if I plug a phone into the filter there is noise on the line.
If I plug the phone in directly without the filter there is no noise.
If I plug the phone into the filter and take out the data cable there is no noise.
Any suggestions as to cause.
I am guessing our phone provider may not be a fault as no noise is on the line with just the phone.
Should I try global services or our internet/phone suppiler?
Thanks in advance.
Btw I have changed the filter.
Also I am not concerned with the phone line as such as it is not used.
I am more concerned that the internet seems to cut out for just a second at a time.
This may also impact on broadcasting stake conferences via the router.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It sounds like something is misconfigured as to how the modem and filter is used.

I think the "noise" you are hearing is actually your DSL modem. The modem should have a UNfiltered connection to the phone line. But you need to place the filter between the phone line/DSL modem and any phones.

The filter is only to keep the DSL noise out of the phones. If you place the filter between the modem and the phone line, the modem will have a hard time communicating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:...
The filter is only to keep the DSL noise out of the phones. ...
Minor point: According to the first paragraph of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter, another purpose of the filters is to keep effects of the analog phone sets from reducing quality/performance of the DSL signal.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:another purpose of the filters is to keep effects of the analog phone sets from reducing quality/performance of the DSL signal.
True. I was trying to figure out how to explain the purpose of the filter. It's to keep the DSL signal from interfering with analog phone sets.

What I was trying to get at is that the filter doesn't make the phone line better for the DSL. (But as you pointed out, by filtering the analog sets, it does help the DSL.)

I'm not sure if stephen500 is using a in-line filter or a combined filter/splitter. If it's the latter, it's important to make sure that the connections for Phone and Line are not reversed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”