Accessing new.lds.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
Reece-p40

Accessing new.lds.org

Post by Reece-p40 »

When I try to access new.lds.org, I get a page “suggesting” I upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, with links to the latest versions of the most popular web browsers. I don’t have admin privileges on my office PC, so I am unable to install the download, and my IT group says it will be some time in the first quarter of 2011 before the browser is upgraded throughout our network.

Currently running IE 6.0.2. Is there any way I can get past this page without upgrading?

http://new.lds.org/resources/upgrade?lang=eng
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Reece wrote:When I try to access new.lds.org, I get a page “suggesting” I upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, with links to the latest versions of the most popular web browsers. I don’t have admin privileges on my office PC, so I am unable to install the download, and my IT group says it will be some time in the first quarter of 2011 before the browser is upgraded throughout our network.

Currently running IE 6.0.2. Is there any way I can get past this page without upgrading?

http://new.lds.org/resources/upgrade?lang=eng
None that I found from our ward computer that was stuck with IE6. I finally upgraded via flash drive.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Your IT group knows you are running only IE6 and they are okay with waiting until 2011 to upgrade you to IE8? That's a major secuirty problem waiting to happen. The only reason I can see not upgrading to IE8 is if you are also still running Windows 98 or some other prior version of windows that does not support IE7 or higher.

If your current network policy prohibits you from installing Firefox or Google Chrome, then you will have to access new.lds.org from some other computer with a more up-to-date browser.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbh001 wrote:Your IT group knows you are running only IE6 and they are okay with waiting until 2011 to upgrade you to IE8?
While I understand the desire to avoid problems where upgrades sometimes breaks things, I agree - that's quite a security hole.

Aren't there browsers that can be run from a flash drive? (assuming that's within company policy to do so.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Reece wrote:Currently running IE 6.0.2. Is there any way I can get past this page without upgrading?
There is a portable edition of Firefox that can be run without being installed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbh001 wrote:Your IT group knows you are running only IE6 and they are okay with waiting until 2011 to upgrade you to IE8?

I work for a company that will move to IE7 early next year. This company has about 90,000 employees across the US. There are other reasons for sticking with IE6.

And if I so much as think of plugging a flash drive into my desktop pc, they will personally visit me within 10 minutes. (Ok, I would actually have to plug it into the USB port to get the visit.) The mere possession of a flash drive at work would subject me to discipline up to termination.

So yes, there are some sites I cannot access from work.

Return to “Main Church Website”