Visual Org Chart

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kennova

Visual Org Chart

Post by kennova »

The #1 thing the Bishopric works on is callings. MLS has little to no features around this large, important administrative task. MLS does a very poor job illustrating the organization. The exports that it generates are csv files that are not easily read.

To visually be able to see the organization, an auxiliary at a time would be better. We should be able to quickly tell who has been in a calling longer based on the color of the cell, or area their name is in. Something like red for 3 years or more, Yellow for 1.5 - 3 years, and Green for 0-1.5 years. Or even a gradient of these colors over time. The reports for members without callings is fine, but for those with callings it's quite difficult to see what's happening.
Kenn North
Texas
HintonBR

I second the idea

Post by HintonBR »

I second kennova's idea - having a visual way to see the organization would be really nice - not sure that MLS is the right place since access to MLS is so limited. Now having a feature like that on the MLS Web elements that are being developed or on the LDS Mobile Tools (to the extent that they have calling data) would also be very, very helpful I would imagine. With MLS it becomes maybe a little more useful if you can print out those visualizations
kennova

in MLS

Post by kennova »

It needs to be based on MLS data (which is the direction of the new.lds.org), but there could different views for different members. Initially though the leaders need some help with administration of callings...
Kenn North
Texas
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

kennova wrote:It needs to be based on MLS data (which is the direction of the new.lds.org), but there could different views for different members. Initially though the leaders need some help with administration of callings...
If we're going through the process of improving this process for units, can we also add a calling history to individuals that transfers with them when they move units. In my experience this can help find people prepared to make the next step in leadership as well as those that have had ample opportunity. I believe that inspiration works better the more informed a decision that is made. And we may just avoid calling my wife for the 9th time as the Primary Secretary.
kisaac
Community Moderators

callings visualization ideas on another thread

Post by kisaac »

kennova wrote:The #1 thing the Bishopric works on is callings. MLS has little to no features around this large, important administrative task. MLS does a very poor job illustrating the organization. The exports that it generates are csv files that are not easily read.
Yes, many of us have hoped for something, and we threw around some ideas on this thread ranging from the old magnetic white board to exporting the data to other programs.

Let us know if you find anything that works!
kennova

Post by kennova »

jshawut wrote:And we may just avoid calling my wife for the 9th time as the Primary Secretary.
unheard of :)... I REALLY like the idea of calling history that follows a member around from ward to ward. Great idea.
Kenn North
Texas
danpass

Post by danpass »

kennova wrote:unheard of :)... I REALLY like the idea of calling history that follows a member around from ward to ward. Great idea.
A good discussion has previously taken place here, regarding the benefits and concerns related to the idea of a persistent calling history.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

kennova wrote:unheard of :)... I REALLY like the idea of calling history that follows a member around from ward to ward. Great idea.
You mean others also don't like to hear from a ward member: "Again? You just released me from it last summer..."
lishdirk

Re: Visual Org Chart

Post by lishdirk »

Has anyone found a solution?
jenniebme

Re: Visual Org Chart

Post by jenniebme »

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”